Home > Trip Reports > April 10, 2008, The Slot Year of the Slot

April 10, 2008, The Slot Year of the Slot

4/10/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by jdclimber on 4/10/08 9:13am
Seems like everyone is doing the Slot this year. I was feeling really left out. Plan was to do it yesterday, but suffered from weak sauce/poor sleep/fear and an overly ambitious start time, so I went back to bed.
This morning I got my act together and pieced it together, first time up the Phantom, and up to and down the Slot. 2 hours to get there, skin track was gone for about the last 700 ft. About 4-6 of new snow and much drifting into the highway/skintrack.
Slot proper was an easy entry, no visible tracks. A fair bit of sloughing, but nothing serious.
Near the bottom of the Slot proper, snow got much better.
Exited too far skiers left and put in a skin track in deep snow then had to run the ridge at the top, cost myself about 1/2 hour and much extra work. Won't make that mistake again.
Phantom skied very poorly, heavy, deep, cookies and sticky, was please to make it out intact.
I suspect the season of Powder in the Slot is over for the year, Corn season should be starting soon.
Much thanks to the 5 people who offered assistance, beta and were my in town contacts for both the non-event of yesterday and the event of today.
The Slot, I think, is some kind of magical place.... we were there yesterday, probably the 3rd group of the day to descend, and we found beautiful, untracked snow. Today, you too found untracked snow in there, though no new snow fell yesterday.

A magical place indeed.....

author=jasonsalvo link=topic=9747.msg39220#msg39220 date=1207879573]
The Slot, I think, is some kind of magical place.... we were there yesterday, probably the 3rd group of the day to descend, and we found beautiful, untracked snow. Today, you too found untracked snow in there, though no new snow fell yesterday.

A magical place indeed.....

The magic of the internet and TRs with no pics!!! ;) ;)

In defense of science, even the pseudo-snow science, it did snow between 3-7 inches, even on the front side.  The magic may be that the snow covered all of the tracks in the Slot environs.
Not to detract from the Magic, but, if snow appeared in certain places by magic alone, avalanche forecasting would be really tricky. That thought gives me the chills.  ;D

the only "magic" I've ever heard of is voodoo or drug induced... :D

If snow did indeed fall after we left, then I stand corrected.

With the impending arrival of warm weather, I guess I was secretly pining for a magical 1400' couloir only an hour from Seattle that daily provides fresh tracks..... alas, science trumps magic yet again.

author=Stugie link=topic=9747.msg39236#msg39236 date=1207947297]
the only "magic" I've ever heard of is voodoo or drug induced... :D

Both voodoo and drugs work without magic---the former with psychological and cognitive processes (for healing, not the dolls and needles), the latter with psycho- and physiological effects.  ::)

To me the magic is when we have crummy snow or events and still call it a good day!

Any opinions on whether the Slot will be magical in May?  I'm like jdclimber and keep meaning to get there.

author=telemack link=topic=9747.msg39454#msg39454 date=1208358186]
Both voodoo and drugs work without magic---the former with psychological and cognitive processes (for healing, not the dolls and needles), the latter with psycho- and physiological effects.   ::)

...hence "magic" being in quotes. ;)  I concur that this has been a stellar winter with some phenomenal days that can only be summed up with said vocabulary.  As for the Slot, I too am waiting for a day to make my move, however, I think that this might have to wait until next season being as it's popularity this year seems comparable to that of Rush doing a concert in Toronto.

Based on aspect, what makes it a wonderful winter powder stash (along with magic), makes it a curious place for corn. Not sure how/when it will corn up, with little sunlight. Perhaps the magic corn kernels will fall from the sky and hook us up.

Reply to this TR

april-10-2008-the-slot-year-of-the-slot
jdclimber
2008-04-10 16:13:46