Home > Trip Reports > September 24-25, 2003, Glacier Peak

September 24-25, 2003, Glacier Peak

9/24/03
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Crazy_Jeff on 9/26/03 2:03am
For my one-year climbing anniversary, I thought I would do something stupid.  How about climb the south side of Glacier Peak and ski down Sitkum?  Sounds fun, right?  I took of from the car late Wed morning. Very scenic route, Glacier Peak meadows and the White Chuck drainage are very colorful this time of year.  The White Chuck glacier is in sad shape right now, but would support some skiing on the parts that remain.  Likewise, the Suiattle could be worked a little by those who like to yo-yo.  Camped at about 8300' when it got dark.  Spent a lovely 12 hours at camp, and the wind was blowing the whole time.  In retrospect, I picked a stupid place to sleep, no protection from the wind at all.  Oh well, I'm still alive.  The climb up disappointment peak the next morning was a bit more exciting, lots of loose volcanic rock to fight through.  Thankfully it was a bit better intact near the top because I got myself into a place that required a couple low 5th class moves.  There has to be a better way up.  Anyways, nothing but a slog from there to the top.

The way down was a pain in spots.  The ridge above sitkum spire was windier than I can describe.  I almost couldn't walk down.  I'm guessing about 50mph sustained, with gusts up to who knows?  Skis on the back make that a pleasant experience.  And the upper sitkum is totally covered in rocks, dirt, and crevasses, except way off to the skiers left, which would have been hard to get to and was blocked by cracks way down low.  The lower sitkum wasn't as bad, so I tried skiing it.  Very icy, if you couldn't guess that already.  A few choice spots with some respectable turning, but not much.  I don't think my bases came out of that without scars.  Maybe about 500' of skiing that I could milk out of the trip.

So who else thinks that a >10,000' climb over >25mi is worth ~500' of skiing?  (besides Paul, that is)
I did just about the same thing last weekend.  Differences: a snowboard, and Sitkum ascent.  Windy, icy, rocky, sunny!, yep.  It was my first climb of Glacier Peak, but I wish I had climbed a more spectacular route.

Somebody needs to buy you a beer!

Hey, cool!  I'm all for beer anytime, anywhere!

If you want a more spectacular ascent, Frostbite ridge or Kennedy glacier are shorter than the south side and have awesome scenery.  Sitkum definitely isn't the best route up, aesthetically speaking.

I have serious questions about the first ascent party... supposedly they climbed up disappointment peak thinking it was the true summit and were very "disappointed", right?  Well, they CAN'T have been paying very good attention... from just about every part of the approach and climb, you can tell that there are TWO bumps.  Even when you're on the White Chuck glacier.  So as they get right below it and it looks like the "summit", wouldn't it make sense that someone would have the presence of mind to say "Hey guys... I think this was that false summit we saw earlier!"

Alright, that's just me talking smack.  I'm sure Gerdine and his boys were totally hardcore.

Jeff, you're a terminal idiot...but I told you that already. Woulda been smarter to leave the training weights behind...but you knew that already. Nice!  8)

I wonder if Larry Schick comes to this site.  If so, please forcast some snow as soon as possible, because if not, I'm worried that Jeff will go and do something like this again.   ;)

Yet in a karmic sense, this kind of suffer-fest could only please the snow gods.  Maybe now my face-shot total will be up 10% this year, if so I thank you in advance.

Seriously though, nice work man.  

So who else thinks that a >10,000' climb over >25mi is worth ~500' of skiing?

There certainly are easier places to access 500' of skiing right now, but they are not on the king of wilderness volcanoes. I would not have choosen to do this trip with skis now, but I have been tending to get lazy the last few years once August hits (age seems to do that). It sounds like you thought it was worthwhile, and that's all that really matters anyway. Just a nice fall climb with a little (?) extra weight in the pack. Nice job!

Hey, if I can please the snow gods, I'll do this trip again on Monday!  Except I'd have to find a new way up (anybody want to do the scimitar??)

I love the people on this site... you understand the need to do stupid things to get in September turns. ;D

I'm so there! but I've got class on Monday.  >:(

LET IT SNOW!

Reply to this TR

september-24-25-2003-glacier-peak
Crazy_Jeff
2003-09-26 09:03:39