Home > Trip Reports > April 5, 2008, Val d'Arpette - Trient, Switzerland

April 5, 2008, Val d'Arpette - Trient, Switzerland

4/5/08
Europe
Posted by gregL on 4/5/08 5:19pm
We (Lowell, Paul, David, Michael, Corinne all from TAY) stayed overnight at the Refuge d'Arpette (very cool hut complete with hot showers) then toured up the Val d'Arpette, down to the Trient Glacier, up to the Trient hut for lunch, then over the Col d' Escandies to the Glacier du Grand. A sweet 1,000 meter continuous powder run down to the town of Trient was the afternoon prize, pretty amazing.

Pics to come later, sorry for the short report but borrowing our hosts' computer and the euro keyboard are making things tough!
How are you doing on those pics?  ::)

Pics will have to wait until next week - we are still in Europe with no laptops and relying on Internet cafes, etc. Plenty of problems on this trip - British Air lost all of our ski bags, along with climbing gear, until yesterday! We were forced to rent touring skis and borrow harnesses, ropes, hardwear and ice axes. We finally talked to someone yesterday who said they located our gear and had sent it back to Seattle! Highly recommend not going through Heathrow for the time being if you are planning on skiing in Europe.

British Air misplaced my skis flying into Geneva - luckily I got them late the next day. Did miss meeting up with a local to ski in Chamonix ....  :'(

I talked to a BA employee at Heathrow who said this is classic - that the bag situation at Heathrow is a nightmare for them and this happens all the time as a result for people transferring through there. Dunno how much is BA versus Heathrow, but in any case a good warning for others...

I hope your trip is working out well now that you have worked out gear replacements.

Here's some photos as promised. There was "no information available" on our ski bags either by phone or website until two days before we were scheduled to leave, when the website suddenly proclaimed they had been located and would be sent to us. Unfortunately, the phone at our B&B was out of order, so they sent the skis back to Seattle one day ahead of us!

I've filed a claim with British Airways for reimbursement of the ski rental fees, etc. so we'll see.

Skinning from the Col des Escandies around Petite Point d'Orny for lunch at the Trient Hut

Lunch at the Cabane de Trient - Paul, Lowell, David, Michael & Corinne

Lowell enjoying the top part of 3,000 vert of powder turns down the Glacier des Grands

Michael's pictures are here, his action pictures are way better than mine (see page 2): http://michael.trommsdorff.org/Chamonix2/ValDArpette_April2008/index.html

wow, those are fantastic!

Salvating way out of control....

Reply to this TR

april-5-2008-val-d-arpette-trient-switzerland
gregL
2008-04-06 00:19:53