Home > Trip Reports > 4-3, Mt Hood, Leuthold Couloir and Reid gl. Headwall

4-3, Mt Hood, Leuthold Couloir and Reid gl. Headwall

4/15/08
OR Mt Hood
Posted by danhelmstadter on 4/4/08 2:35am
There is SO much snow up in northern Oregon, way more than Mt. Shasta has.

I left the camper around six, and made good time skinning directly up to the Palmer and to the Hogsback. The Pearly Gates were well booted, and much easier and way more filled in than back in November. Great views of Rainer, Adams etc... from the summit. 

The summit ridge traverse was pretty easy - the hardest part was having to traverse a little section of the 65dg Coe Glacier Headwall on sketchy snow to get around a pointy rime formation. The Leutholds Couloir was easy to find.

The Leutholds held mostly windboard up high, with a little velvet through the hourglass - then breakable crust to powder to Reed Glacier.

Skinning back to the I rock saddle - I noticed some chutes on the Reid Headwall which caught my eye - and quickly made up my mind to check it out. The Reid Headwall looks fairly small from the glacier, but was at least as long as the Leutholds. The Reid seemed considerably steeper than the Leutholds (possibly because I was in the presence of its exposure for a longer period, but I think it was just steeper. I found similar snow conditions, crust down low, to windboard for the mid and high sections (which was a little softer than the Leutholds because of more sun exposure.)

Great steep skiing down the headwall - then I made my way up to the saddle, skied breakable wind crust down to Palmer - where there was some corduroy. I stopped at the Timberline parking lot and walked my dog, then skied down to Government Camp for some beers, and hitchhiked back up to the camper.

Those conditions look good!  What a difference the PNW makes, Dan.

Man, you're a busy boy... nice work!  Love hearing your reports from the local spots.  Good stuff.

Sandy Headwall has your name written all over it too, I believe.  Only up to 45 degrees (with a steeper skier's left start which I did not do... 50degre or more?......).  Very aesthetic with a return route on Sandy Glacier, then up and on to the Reid and-- then 'lum' saddle...yada yada...

Good job on Leuth. and Reid Headwall..  Have not done either but maybe Leuthold's this year.  Way to get after it!!!!!!!!!

thanks Skierguitarist,

I took a long look at the Sandy Headwall yesterday, looks pretty rad. The skiers - left option looks like it's not currently in, same with the central option, to many rocks, and rime formations, that skiers right entrance looked like it goes. The weather the next few days looks like it sucks though. thanks for the tips!

Yes it is such a cool run (Sandy hd.wall).  I'm shooting for next weekend to do Leuthold's if it doesn't look like there is too much climber traffic...or any really (and of course great conditions permitting...). 

Reply to this TR

4-3-mt-hood-leuthold-couloir-and-reid-gl-headwall
danhelmstadter
2008-04-04 09:35:56