Home > Trip Reports > September 14, 2003, Paradise Glacier (Ron's Edge)

September 14, 2003, Paradise Glacier (Ron's Edge)

9/14/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Charles on 9/14/03 10:04pm
Pete, Ryan, and I headed for the "new stash", scoped out by Ron and tested earlier this month by a number of skiers - so many, it seemed, that we expected to find the slope perfectly cleaned and gleaming white for our descent (it wasn't). The day started mostly sunny and pleasant for our hike up to Pebble Creek, but with a vigorous cloud cap on Rainier and downstream lenticulars. As Paul mentioned, the Muir looked pretty devastated from several bad summers, and we cut over to the Paradise Glacier from just above Pebble Creek, hitting it at ~7700', near where previous turns ended.

During a bite to eat, clouds started blowing across the upper Muir, so we quickly booted up the western edge of the Paradise Glacier, making note of terrain and crevasses. Not quite quickly enough, though. By the time we were ready to start down our tracks from ~8800', the fog had really moved in, and the whole ski down was in low visibility - we were glad we had made the mental notes on the way up. The natural moguls at the top were fun, and below that most of the snow was surprisingly smooth, though somewhat slow due to the dirt (but better than the rest of the Paradise, and far better than the main Muir). We crossed rocks back west at ~7800' to the lowest lobe of the Muir and then skied down to right above Pebble Creek; the eastern part of this little lobe was so dirty that I almost faceplanted several times. We took turns leading on the hike down so everyone could have a chance to answer The Question.
Hey Charles, turns they were, beautiful they were not! Let's hope for some strong low pressure systems this Sept-Oct to get us off to a good start for the fall/winter.

Paul

Yes, enough turns to not have to lower the threshold for a countable ski trip. We could see what must have been your turns - it looked like you found reasonable snow along some additional western edges.

Here's a photo of the Muir snowfield (or what's left of it) from just below Pebble Creek (edge of Gibraltar Rock at far left skyline, Anvil Rock left center skyline, Pebble Creek area right center edge of photo):

Click for wallpaper size photo.

wow, Rainier is looking sad...when is the new snow gonna get here? I was up on Rainier over Labor Day weekend (climbed it, left the skis behind) and even then the patch of white just above the ski tips in that photo  was still "snow" and not ice and looked resonably skiable, not anymore...
pray for any early start to the season.    

Boy, it's sad in the PNW with the lack of snow, but what a great summer we have had   8).  If we think September is bad, ulness things drastically change, wonder where we will get our turns for October, Glad you guys were able to get Sept knocked out.  

If things keep looking more like this, October turns might not be a problem.

TODAY...SHOWERS... CHANCE OF AN AFTERNOON THUNDERSTORM... SNOW LEVEL 4500 FEET. AFTERNOON PASS TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER 30S TO MID 40S. WIND IN THE PASSES WEST 5 TO 15 MPH.
TONIGHT...SHOWERS LIKELY... SNOW LEVEL 4500 FEET... WIND IN THE PASSES WEST 5 TO 15 MPH.

yeah, the weather today is giving me some hope...web cams at Whistler and Stevens Pass are showing some white coming out of the sky.
I know this little storm will probably only drop a couple inches at the most but at least its a start. Too bad the forecast for the days after this storm is back to 13,000ft freezing levels.  This is always a tough time of year...

september-14-2003-paradise-glacier-ron-s-edge
Charles
2003-09-15 05:04:12