Home > Trip Reports > 3-31-08 Mt. Mcloughlin, North and South faces

3-31-08 Mt. Mcloughlin, North and South faces

3/31/08
Posted by danhelmstadter on 4/1/08 4:21am
I was rudely awoken by a State Trooper, who demanded that I scrape the 09 year license plate tag off my plate (which I purchased in October for $200) because It was apparently "not the right year". "I ain't leavin till you scrape em." .....

I got started sometime around 10, and skinned the several miles to treeline in pow conditions, In which I could sink my pole 2' to the old crust. I followed the easy East ridge to the top. Temps were cool, but surprisingly not very windy. The North face looked sweet, so I dropped in, a little sketchy with windslab up high, releasing a few very small slabs, on the ~45dg slope. I choose to take a nice looking couloir option lower on the face, which offered 45dg pow, for about 1k, then I skied the lower slopes down to treeline, and booted back up deep pow - which was pretty exhausting.

The South face looked like the perfect cruiser from the summit - ~30dg open slope - the perfect way to unwind. It was superb powder up high, but became slightly suncrusted lower. Then I traversed around to the SE face and skied more pow, and trapcrust on open slopes to well below treeline. The ski out was a little sketchy with mixed pow, and trap suncrust.

Skied ~2.8k down North face, and 4.5k on the South side.

Nice work Dan!  McLoughlin was definitely a memorable descent for me a few years back.  Now you just need Jefferson off the top!  ;)

Nice work cappin' the glock !

Way to go again!!!!!  Was actually thinking about that Mt  during the latest snow event while skiing Tumalo Mt. and Mt. Bachelor....tons of fresh for sure.  Skied the s.e. slope of Mt. Mcloughlin a few season back in lovely corn...what a cool mountain.  I must say you really hit it with the pow....nice turns dude.  Have been wondering about the access but it sounds like it was a reasonable ski in (harsh deal with the cop though...)

Reply to this TR

3-31-08-mt-mcloughlin-north-and-south-faces
danhelmstadter
2008-04-01 11:21:54