Home > Trip Reports > March 31, 2008, Snoqualmie Breakfast

March 31, 2008, Snoqualmie Breakfast

3/31/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 3/31/08 4:29am
While skiing fun snow yesterday, Will had the brilliant idea to ski it again this morning while the snow was good and the skintrack fresh. Both were true, to a large extent.

We skied from pass level to 5+k on NW-SW facing slopes. Up high on sheltered slopes, the snow remained wondrous. Higher on the windward side of a ridge, wind action was starting to generate the barest of soft slabbiness atop the powder. Down low, particularly on sun-exposed slopes, we encountered breakable crust. As has been the trend of late, we noted no remarkable instability.

Thanks again to the folks who pummeled in the skintrack yesterday - you helped make our day significantly easier.

Heck, we even made it to work on time with smiles on our faces.
Indeed the snow was amazing - pictures from Sunday: http://www.flickr.com/photos/akbc/sets/72157604323971591/

Nice - I wouldn't have minded going back for more - those pesky meetings!%$#$%!!

I think you can thank "solo Dave" for the uptrack (I think he posts on TAY sometimes but not sure his username), except for the spots where there was a steeper and mellower option - you can thank our party for the mellower options :). (and some of the other tracks on the mountain besides the direct uptrack - we got around a bit and beat in a "lapping track" as well as an exit track that was nowhere near the uptrack)

I'm glad you got in another ski day and all that great snow didn't go to waste :)  And you're welcome for the up track!  Just for the record, I took advantage of a track from Saturday on the lower two thirds of the hill, but set new track on the upper third.  I usually like a more mellow ascent myself.

Did you dig steps on Sunday to get over the snow cap on top?  I've never seen that much snow up there before!

I thought it looked like maybe you were following an old track. So your taste in uptracks may not be that far of ours. I did notice the grade easing toward the top. I thought you were maybe getting tired, but you weren't slowing down much! A few folks in our group got grumpy about the steepness, but none of them seemed too interested in breaking a completely new track (I worked around some of the most snowshoe like spots)  ;).

I spent a few minutes with a shovel at that sno cap, but it was damn hard and the crew was getting restless (I was apparently the topic of some dinnertime laughter for that futile move, but I would have  been a hero if it worked!), so I gave up. An axe or two and crampons would have done the trick. I've seen snow that deep, but never in quite that shape. I suspect trumpetsailor and crew passed on it as well. We just skied down a bit skiers left of where we went when we hooked up with you a few years back, which offered fine turns for about 1800 vf. Well worth a few laps!

Reply to this TR

march-31-2008-snoqualmie-breakfast
Charlie Hagedorn
2008-03-31 11:29:57