Home > Trip Reports > March 30, 2008, Snoqualmie Pass

March 30, 2008, Snoqualmie Pass

3/30/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Charlie Hagedorn on 3/30/08 10:45am
Great day out. We skied on most aspects, save NE-SE at elevations from pass level to ~5+k. Sun exposed areas had intermediate, mostly weak, crusts in the new snow. In most places the bond to what I believe was last weeks sun/warming/rain crust? 1-3' down tended to be pretty good. Skiing steeper bits, rolls, etc. didn't get anything to move. Sheltered areas held wonderful snow. A big thank you to those who put in the upper part of the uptrack and the lower part of the outtrack for the day. At pass level at 5pm, the snow was getting heavy, but still fun.

Go ski! Skiing is good. T'was nice to get another shot of winter.
Good to see you out there. Hope you guys had as much fun as we did! Nothing moved - even things like unsupported powder pads hung over creeks, deposits on the side of big wind rolls, and such. I did have some sluffing building in a wave about my boots at a few points. Great turns above 4K (many face shots today), and not awful below either, though we were mostly traveling below 4K. Good cover, huh!?

We skied up there as well today... with our main descent being the tree-filled northwest facing slopes of Mt. Catherine. We found loads of soft, knee-deep powder in there which made trail breaking up the hill quite a workout at times and required some steep aspects to keep up any speed on the descent. Overall quite fun. We also saw little instability as the top layers had little cohesion. We didn't test any steep, more open slopes, however.

Thanks to those who laid in the nice skin track up the slope at Hyack saving a lot of work for us and others!

Brenda and I lapped Radio Tower down to Rockdale both Sat and Sun. Had to break trail from Grand Junction to the radio tower on Sun due to the late arrival of the groomer. Fat skis were in order and Brenda really had hers working. We had done a couple runs at the resort in the morning, and it was deep on Sat (not so good on Sun). Backcountry was deeper. It's great to find good snow close to home, especially when we're on a tight schedule.

Reply to this TR

march-30-2008-snoqualmie-pass
Charlie Hagedorn
2008-03-30 17:45:25