Home > Trip Reports > March 30, 2008, Crystal, Bluebell Pass Pancakes

March 30, 2008, Crystal, Bluebell Pass Pancakes

3/30/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Marcus on 3/30/08 8:44am
Beautiful, "one and done" day with Andy, Mica and Anastasia.  After running into Ron and Jeanette in the lot (great to see you, sorry we didn't run into each other during the day) and receiving some local knowledge and one of Ron's waypoint-covered maps, we headed up toward Bullion with mellow ambitions and dreams of stable powder.    A quick pit at 6,300 feet on a wind loaded SW slope showed CT13, Q2 on a 26 degree slope.  With evidence down low of skier triggered slabs, we decided to avoid the open slopes of west bowl (amply tracked already, from the day before) and get a run down into Pickhandle Basin from Bluebell Pass, with a late "pancake lunch" somewhere down in Enumclaw. 

We found a nice narrow slot that never quite pinched off, just big enough for four fresh lines and one set of dog tracks.  Unbelievable powder -- my whole head was caked by the end of the run.  We were happy to call it a short day with that and it's a sweet "goodbye" to winter, if spring's really on the way.  We missed the pancakes though, so we're doing them for dinner :)

Sorry for the mediocre picture quality -- these are frame grabs from the video camera.
You picked a great line, Marcus.  Pickhandle should have been epic... that's just about the same aspect we skied.
The narrow chute you encountered must have been the one that the bottom of Pickhandle basin drains into... that puppy's steep and needs this much snow to ski nice.  Sounds like you hit it just right.

That's the one Ron -- that last few hundred feet kicked up a few degrees and was just divine, though I could tell it needed all the snow it had to be in good shape.  It was a treat to find.  Hope to hook up with you sometime soon for a guided tour :)

:) My label for the waypoint at the top of that chute is "BadChut"  ;)

that is without question,the greatest vid ever posted to any site on the entire internet.I confirmed this with Al Gore.The split screen work showed a truly visionary use of camera and dog.Steve Parry finally knows why he wrote that song.I for one will never stop Believing..........

Yeah, great viddy, Marcus.
A work of art to be sure.

Ha!  Thanks -- I'm learning at the feet of a couple of friends.  Tundra was more than willing to donate his time, in exchange for hot dog pieces and unattended sandwiches.

Reply to this TR

march-30-2008-crystal-bluebell-pass-pancakes
Marcus
2008-03-30 15:44:53