Home > Trip Reports > March 30, 2008, Cascades, a bit east of Jolly Mtn

March 30, 2008, Cascades, a bit east of Jolly Mtn

3/30/08
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 3/30/08 7:37am
This report is for condition reference purposes only.  Any more detailed location would probably make me vulnerable to being hunted down by a Chelan County posse!
The day began in a fine way with a visit at home by Swooz, Clem, Bill S., Margy and Pico on their way to Red Mountain.  After a short coaxing attempt I told them I needed something a bit less ambitious due to time and energy constraints.  It was great to see everyone and reminded me of how fortunate we are to live where we do and have the community of like minded friends that we have.

Conditions were surprising: as all that there really is to share is that above 3500 feet is more than 6 new inches on the old crust and by 5000 feet there is more than a foot of new!  I bet this goes practically all the way to the Columbia!  It may delay Teanaway/Icicle areas corn skiing for a bit.

Found an existing skin track from the start and enroute to a high point ran into Lynn and Michelle from the E-burg ski club and was reintroduced to Larry from Wenatchee.  We separated with different itineraries in mind, and onward I went, up this existing skin track.  Got to the top of a run and found Ludwig stripping skins and was introduced to his partner, Steve.  More great folks in this widespread community.

Skied a run behind Ludwig and Steve and thanks to their uptrack had the time and energy for another run.   1st  run was good but had been hit pretty hard so I was a bit sloppy trying to find the fresh snow.   Wanting some time to myself (first solo skiing in more than a month) I split off the uptrack for a quieter place.  OK, so I ski better when no one is watching!  Second run was fabulous in more than 14 inches of super light new snow in an untracked set of glades that I love so much. 

Enjoy this amazing new snow for so late in March, wish I could get out tomorrow, but I am non-ski traveling for work until Friday.  Soon the light stuff will all be gone, but hopefully not before I get back!  I am still learning the deep snow skiing on these midfats, and am not ready for Spring corn yet!

Pic 1:  Can there be anything more beautiful than a set of ski tracks (or snowshoe!) through the quiet winter wilds on a cold, snowy day?
Pic 2:  It is going to make me sad to see this go away!
author=John_Morrow link=topic=9620.msg38776#msg38776 date=1206916644]
  More great folks in this widespread community.

Felt like I have to mention that of all the good friends I saw today, I can safely say that I am among the youngest at early 40's.  Two were over 70 and working on probably between 7000 and 8000 vertical for the weekend!  It is so inspiring to see that we all have the opportunity to stay healthy and strong until late in life, doing what we love and exploring amazing places.  Hope none of you are offended or feel singled out, I am simply inspired, and am fortunate and proud to be part of it.  I remember back to when my local partners were mostly younger than I, but now either do not really leave the areas much, or have given up BCskiing alltogether.  It is just an odd realization.

But it is really not about the vertical climbed, steepness of the slope, or distance travelled.  It is about the passion, exhuberance, awe, and joy that everyone exhibits in simply being out there, in a place at least a bit more wild and natural than where we spend so much of our time.  The day after our day on Jolly, Larry_R had to call me just to take a deep breath and say, "wow, what a day..."  I knew he meant much more than the snow and I was in total agreement.  That is what inspires me most.

Eloquently spoken, John.  It was a good weekend for "Wow" moments on the eastside.  Hard to believe it was so wintry this late in March.  I'm glad to hear you found some untracked glades after our plundering of the goods Saturday.  Traveling with our large party today on Red Mtn. wouldn't have yielded the solitude you sought, but I gotta tell ya, you'd  have loved the turns. 
Similar age breakdown, no one under 45, but then no one over 73 either.  Enthusiastic all.

I have to preach to the choir, too.  (It is Sunday, after all.) Our group of three represented by two tele geezers (53, and 56) and one Tele Buck - 26.  I was thinking what a great "sport" it is that us geezers could hang out with somebody half our age and all have a great time slashing through the powder. 

And man do I agree - the workout, the thrills, the beauty.  Can't beat it with a stick.

Glad you "east siders" had fun.  We were Just barely on the east side - Yodelin.  Does that qualify?

Think Powder.  Look for Corn.

Reply to this TR

march-30-2008-cascades-a-bit-east-of-jolly-mtn
John Morrow
2008-03-30 14:37:24