Home > Trip Reports > March 28, 2008, Aspendell, Eastern Sierra

March 28, 2008, Aspendell, Eastern Sierra

3/28/08
US elsewhere
Posted by Zap on 3/28/08 2:05pm
I slept in after I saw clouds covering the higher peaks in the early hours.  It was sunny in Bishop at 4100' and partly cloudy as I drove west on highway 168.  The high peaks were partly visible but it was obvious it was snowing and blowing up high.  The South Lake road was closed at the Bishop Creek Lodge around 8300'.  I returned to the junction and headed north towards Aspendell and Lake Sabrina.  The road was closed at Aspendell at about 8500'.  The road closures are typical for this time of the year.  The Eastern Sierra trout opener is usually the last Saturday in April and it is this event that drives Caltrans to plow and open access to the higher access roads/lakes.  I used to think it was really nice of Caltrans to open access to some great high elevation terrain for backcountry skiing until I was educated about how much trout fishermen spend and how little dirtbag skiers spend.  ;)

During my previous trips to the area, I always drove by Aspendell for higher access.  Today was ideal for exploring.  I dug out the topo and found an access road in the small development that allowed me to put on the skins 3 feet from the campervan-this is good.  I headed west towards an unnamed ridge with a northeast exposure that was protected from the gusty winds.  It was perfect touring weather with a breeze and sun, some clouds and  few snow fluries at times.  Once up to the ridge I noticed I was only a quarter mile from North Lake and the drainage for tours to Mount Lamark, Mount Mendel, Mount Darwin and the Evolution Tour.These are Sierra classics and I have never been able to access the area in spring because of the long slog.It was an easy skin the quarter mile to a vantage point a couple hundred feet above North Lake. It was interesting to see the route which was partially hidden by clouds and snow showers.  A quiet place with only a hawk soaring above me in the gusty winds.  The descent was pleasant Sierra corn into the backyard of a small ranch.  Another soak at Keough hot springs relaxed these ole bones. I'm starting to get into the Sierra touring groove again.
Nice pictures, Zap.  Those look like pretty skinny skis.  Do you tele on them or stick to the roads?  Looks like a great day.

Hey Zap great trip report your killing me with these pictures of sun and corn ::). Is that a tan line at your neck in the picture ;D? wow. Zap about Keogh hot springs, I guess none of the locals told you about this. They have about 75 cats to help control the mouse problem. That many cats dirty a lot of cat box's, any way they empty the cat box's into the water as it leaves the commercial pool area it keeps the dirt bags like you from free loading down stream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding. ;D ;D ;D

Rusty, the skis were laying on an angle and certainly look thin.  They are a fat pair of lime green Atomic Kalais with Dynafit bindings which are ideal for spring conditions.

Chuck, I now there's a mouse population in the Buttermilk camping area that just loves the arrival of all the spring skiers with their great snacks.  ;)  I know why you lived in June Lake for so many years - the countryside is spectacular.  Looking forward to the trout opener and road access plus the opening of the MobilMart deli in Lee Vining and their fish tacos.  ::)

Reply to this TR

march-28-2008-aspendell-eastern-sierra
Zap
2008-03-28 21:05:46