Home > Trip Reports > September 6, 2003, Paradise Glacier

September 6, 2003, Paradise Glacier

9/6/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by GregLange on 9/9/03 2:54am
I'm posting this in the reverse order of the other reports for the weekend. Is this "Bass ackwards" or something? Time's always a premium, so postings and departure times are always odd.

Lara Pazemenas and I left Edmonds at 4 A.M., so's I could be back in time to take the wild ones off of my wife's hands, and thus not jeopardize next month's trip. We arrived Paradise Lodge at 7 A.M., and hit the Mazama Ridge (?) Trail at 7:15. Proceeded up to connect with the Paradise Gl. trail, then continued up the Skyline until it looked like we were close enuf to eyeball the "climbers trail" up to the glacier's top end. The sun was shining, and we watched a lenticular form over the summit all morning. At 10:30, we reached 8350', and donned skis. We'd already peered into the crevasses we didn't want to ski into, so went skiers right all the way to the little notch above McClure Rock. Then, we skidaddled down 100', donned skis again, and skiied to the Muir snout. I always love early Fall skiing around tourists, 'cuz they ALWAYS hit their jaws on the ground, and can't resist THE question. One more ski doff, and then skiied to just above Pebble Creek. We got 1000' of vert, which ain't bad for September after 61 straight days above 70 degrees!

We met SilasWild in person on the way down. Always a treat to meet the truly dedicated.

Per usual, looking forward to next month; it'll be #72.

Sorry you Sunday skiers had the fog, but at least it wasn't lightning storms, as Jeff Renner had forecast!
Greg, sounds like you had a nice day on Saturday.  Even though "we" Sunday skiers had the fog, it turned out to be a good ski.  If we stood still long enough, the fog lifted, and as soon as the camera's lifted, the fog would roll back in again, kind of like a game of tag.  All in all, we earned our turns for September.   ;D

Yeah, earning them is RIGHT. Any other time of year, and 8 miles of hiking would yield alot more that 1000' of vert!

Hope to see you this winter...Greg

Reply to this TR

september-6-2003-paradise-glacier-2
GregLange
2003-09-09 09:54:47