Home > Trip Reports > March 27, 2008, Jolly Mountain 6442'

March 27, 2008, Jolly Mountain 6442'

3/27/08
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by John Morrow on 3/27/08 6:39am
Approach:
see this thread for usual approach
http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=4580.0 except plenty of snow this year, no need for walking.
Quick condition report:
From summit at 6400 ft down the north/NW facing glades was hero powder with a bit of picking through wind rolls to 5600 ft.
Larry_R skied the southwest facing runs off what he calls "Ladybug Peak", the 6080+ knob to the north of Jolly.  At the bottom in the West Fk. head waters we met up and skinned out back to the top of the "frontside".  Yet again passing up the giant east face of Jolly and the North gullies of Ladybug and the northwest facing run off "Dog Pk.", one mile west/NW of Jolly.  I will blame it on needing to be at a meeting a 4:00 in E-burg and not the extra vert. of climbing out!
Back at the top of the frontside at 5000 ft. down to 3800 feet more incredible powder up to a foot deep and little wind effect.
From 3800' to 2300' (at the TH) the infamous crud zone proved to be fully frozen after a couple real cold nights here in town. 3" new on top of it to add to the fun.  Back to the car at 1:15 PM.
Great day Larry, thanks for the encouragement!
First pic is the low visibility just below the summit and the east run into Jolly Creek I didn't do yet again.
Second pic is the run off "Dog Pk" that also taunted me!
Third is of Larry moving real fast as always, didn't even get the camera around in time!
Thanks for doing the TR John!

What a great series of runs. This makes maybe 8 weeks in a row there where I've lucked out on the conditions, and each week has been different. What John didn't mention was that this trip put him over 14,000 ft. vertical for the week. That's a fair amount more than his average of ~10,000 per week I think (summer too). So that seems to me like a good excuse for not skiing 1,500 ft off the east side of Jolly, where the only way out is back up.  :) And his week is not over; work related vert coming up.

Speaking of excuses, and the idea that one excuse is as good as any other, here are some choices why I did not go to the top of Jolly:
a) old age
b) 'snow's better over here'
c) did not want to wake the snow troll who lives on the top of Jolly
d) 'I thought this was Jolly...'
e) might get altitude sickness
f) all of the above

:)

Larry

author=Larry_R link=topic=9601.msg38722#msg38722 date=1206716861]
Thanks for doing the TR John!

Speaking of excuses, and the idea that one excuse is as good as any other, here are some choices why I did not go to the top of Jolly:
a) old age
b) 'snow's better over here'
c) did not want to wake the snow troll who lives on the top of Jolly
d) 'I thought this was Jolly...'
e) might get altitude sickness
f) all of the above

:)

Larry

Larry,
You forgot:
g) 'been there, done that!

(which you already had been actually a few weeks ago, a faint wind blown icy set of tracks of yours may have been the first ones of the winter, if not the only.  I am surprised how little traffic it has seen this winter.)
J

What an awsome looking place!

Reply to this TR

march-27-2008-jolly-mountain-6442
John Morrow
2008-03-27 13:39:37