Home > Trip Reports > Mt. Pilchuck March 22

Mt. Pilchuck March 22

3/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by jpark42 on 3/24/08 4:35pm
First off the road is closed but the nps website is full of crap. We got a full 1 and half in with 4x4, without you can make it in only about 1mile. We started skinning up at around 730am and enjoyed a fairly lazy laid back skin up to the trailhead, there a few trees to climb over but nothing to series. Headed up the towards pilchuck but rather then take the main travel hit up the ridge the ridge to the north. This route wasn't to bad and presented us with some pretty decent/safe tree skiing or some one slope, but a little bit more avalanche prone skiing on the NE side of the ridge. We got to top the of the ridge and we planning on hitting the saddle between the unnamed ridge and the ridge heading to Pilchuck but ended up not doing it because the skin up route to the pilchuck ridge was exposed to three avalanche shouts. Instead we turned around and enjoyed about 1000ft of tree skiing. Now for the fun part the road back. Skinning up the thing wasn't to bad but skiing down the fing thing took us about as long as it did to skin up. The problem with the road back is that it is down but not a hill so you are doing a little pushing and skate skiing. Also there are a couple of bare spots in the road to the point that we ended up boot packing our ski's out about a 1mile. All in all it was a pretty decent trip though more skiing would have been nice, my beacon crapped out so we had to leave early.
hey Jpark,
I know what you mean about a slog down the road. I went up there on 3/6/08. Unfortunately I had to start skinning about  1/2 a mile below the Heatherlake trailhead, due to a wall of snow built up from the snowplow.
The avie conditions were great on that day... so I went up and over the summit and skied the gun-sight and down the Larrison ridge. After I arrived at the upper parking lot I was ravishly hungry and looking forward to a nice meal in Granite Falls... pretty much figured I had a nice leisurely slide down the 7 miles of road. WRONG! Needlessly to say I was glad to finally see the truck :)

Yeah the skiing back there is super sweet and there is hardly anyone there, one good thing about the road being closed. Yeah I hope to get back up there and ski the northern bowl off the summit of pilchuck. With any luck my av beacon won't crap out on me this time.

Reply to this TR

mt-pilchuck-march-22
jpark42
2008-03-24 23:35:39