Home > Trip Reports > 3-23-08 Root Crick

3-23-08 Root Crick

3/23/08
Posted by danhelmstadter on 3/24/08 6:01am
Warm temperatures are quickly melting low elevation snow, and after such a pleasant ski last week in the Castle Crags, I had to go back for more. Someone recommended the Root Creek drainage, accessible from the State Park. A topo confirmed a decent looking chute like feature, but I was denied visual confirmation due to foothill obstruction.

There is a Root Creek trail, which ends a little ways from the parking lot upon reaching Root Creek. From the terminus of the trail, I followed a vestige of an old path to the base of a monstorous waterfall. I scrambled up semi dense scrub and steep scree-laden over rock slab slopes to access the entrance of the ravine.

I was confronted with atrociously thick alders, which I fought and cursed every inch of my way through. I soon discovered that it was easier to walk up the creek in generally ankle deep water than to deal with the inimical shrubbery and the cursed terrestrial flora.

I soon met snowline, and threw on the old skis and skins - which were essential because of the very wet and punchy quality of the snow. Poles would go full depth with ease. There was one occasion in which I was worried about cutting out a wet slab; I fortunately produced nothing but sluffs. As I ascended the snow got firmer.

The drainage ended in a 40ft wide, ~40dg chute - which offered spectacular views form the top. The ski down was excellent, and I rarely had any difficulties dealing with the very soft snow.

For the deproach I chose to descend the other side of the water fall, which offered some some more scrappy shwacking and Indiana Jones style dangling from alders over steep rock slabs.

All in all, it was a great time, could have been a little steeper, and a little longer; but I am just left with more stoke to get the goods next time.

Wow, nice going!  That looks like a really fun line!  I have yet to explore in the cascades south of WA...

Reply to this TR

3-23-08-root-crick
danhelmstadter
2008-03-24 13:01:09