Home > Trip Reports > March 22, 2008, Lennox Mountain

March 22, 2008, Lennox Mountain

3/22/08
Posted by Boot on 3/23/08 2:15pm
Biggest Little Mtn in the Cascades.  Been wanting to climb and ride the huge north cirque of Lennox for many years and with this years deep, low snowpack and a perfect sunny, but cool weather window, Sat was the day to go get it.  Approached from Money and Goat Crks with expected creek crossing and schwacking issues (BW2/WA2).  The snowpack there is impressive (I presume from the "convergence zone") at 5-6' at about 1600' and I would guess 20-30' up in the bowls.  At a paltry 5894', the summit felt more like a 7-8000 footer and yet held 1-2'  of light powder right from the top all the way down 2500' to Crystal Lk and another 1200' of wetter spring snow down to the valley bottom before becoming grabby.  I would not attempt this in but the best of conditions as there are many cliff bands and headwalls, and the valley had ave debrise that had come down from both sides.  This afternoon as the rain and wind were raging outside, it was hard to believe we were in such a beautiful, remote , wilderness 24 hrs previous.  Gotta love this place and this snow season   8).
Great TR Boot.

How far could you drive on Money Creek Rd? Is it still blocked just a couple miles up the road?

Jim,

The road is plowed about 3 miles up; I have no idea why, but no complaints ;) .

Nice. Your reports have a way of inspiring me to seriously ponder your approach strategy...

The other Jim,

If that's a complement, the recognition is greatly appreciated.  The truth is I'm a total map freak and many/most of my trips are based on different/better/more aesthetic approaches and lines gleaned from map study.

What a day, couldn't believe the terrain and snow amt/quality at 2500-3000'elevations.

author=Boot link=topic=9554.msg38576#msg38576 date=1206404270]
The other Jim,

If that's a complement, the recognition is greatly appreciated.  The truth is I'm a total map freak and many/most of my trips are based on different/better/more aesthetic approaches and lines gleaned from map study.

It is indeed a complement (writing often fails to adequately convey tone), covering not only your work studying options but also your efficiency regarding road approaches.

I was pretty certain it was a complement; thanks again.  I actually get as much enjoyment out of the planning and execution of a trip like this as I do the riding; and I love to ride ;D .

Nice job Boot and Schu-
Quite a climb and unique location, never heard of this place before today.
Great spot, would love to see more pics.
Joe

Here you go Joe!

Very, Very NICE!!!
You guys are animals!
Thanks for sharing.

A little late, but I add my "great job" as well! It looks like you picked just the right day for this trip. I've also had my eye on Lennox and this does seem like a good year to try it. I'm wondering about the bottom slope - from the Goat Creek valley bottom up to the ridge beside Goat Basin/Crystal Lakes - and how the coverage was? I did a Sept. hike up there a few years ago and that bottom slope was a major boulder field, not much fun with too little snow I would guess. Thanks for sharing your TR and photos.

Yeah Charles, we really did hit the right day.  Any boulders are way deep below the snow.  There are a lot of rock slabs where the creek drops down from the lake and along lookers right of the creek, so we followed the slightly less steep tree edge to the left.  This seemed the safest and maybe only reasonable way up to Goat Basin.  We did have to cross some avy debrise that had come off the steep cliffs to the east of the cirque, so like I said it would be pretty sketchy on a warm day.

Reply to this TR

march-22-2008-lennox-mountain
Boot
2008-03-23 21:15:38