Home > Forum > Winter camping in Nelson, BC

Winter camping in Nelson, BC

• Stella Conditions
  • [Stella Conditions]
More
23 Mar 2008 15:30 #181326 by Stella Conditions
Winter camping in Nelson, BC was created by Stella Conditions
I'm heading off to Nelson for some backcountry touring next week and I'm having trouble finding information on places to camp. Can anyone suggest a place to park a van where we won't get hassled? We are planning a tour to Mount Ymir-any other tour suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2008 09:11 #181342 by Zap
Replied by Zap on topic Re: Winter camping in Nelson, BC
A few years ago we were downhill and backcountry skiing at Whitewater and parked our campervan at Whitewater ski area. They have a spot for overnight parking. When I spoke to a Whitewater employee this past fall at the Seattle ski show, he confirmed the parking and they may charge you a small fee. Another option is to park along one of the city streets in Nelson. We also did this and it was not a problem.

• Marcus
  • [Marcus]
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
26 Mar 2008 12:15 #181357 by Marcus
Replied by Marcus on topic Re: Winter camping in Nelson, BC
This is anecdotal and about 6 years out of date, but an Alberta RCMP once directed my wife and I to move van out of Alberta (we were in Jasper). He directed us east, to BC, since (his words) "you can pull off and camp on any road" as long as you're not posing a danger to traffic.

• Stella Conditions
  • [Stella Conditions]
More
28 Mar 2008 14:14 #181385 by Stella Conditions
Replied by Stella Conditions on topic Re: Winter camping in Nelson, BC
I don't know if anyone is still following this thread but....we were indeed able to park overnight at the Whitewater Ski Resort- we had an entire parking lot to ourselves! There is also overnight parking at Walmart (Uggh!) in downtown Nelson.