Home > Trip Reports > March 22, 2008, Jim Hill

March 22, 2008, Jim Hill

3/22/08
Posted by jd on 3/22/08 10:51pm
Icy on the initial approach (up drainage). Scott had to take his homemade splitboard off and walk because it lacked inside edges. Dust on crust entering the upper valley, but as usual Jim Hill delivered a top basin filled with nice (calf deep) powder over a firm, but not icy base. There was quite a group up there (~10) but we farmed the slopes efficiently so there were fresh tracks for everyone each run (I'd wait for another storm though before returning). I was surprised to see that other than Scott and I they were all telemarkers.

We were the first ones down and took a new to me route skier's far right that followed a little gully through the trees - the best snow of the day, and very fun tight turns until the last drop off where we had to negotiate some steep little trees (not too bad if you find the way). After a close encounter with a tree at the top of the last icy slope that broke a pole (luckily not any body parts) Scott took off his board and walked down, beating me to the road.

Parking isn't a problem - the service road a few hundred feet west of the old area has room for a number of cars, and there is an ok shoulder to walk back on.
Thanks for the report and parking info, JD.  We thought it would be a superb choice yesterday, but I didn't want to do the drive!  That many teliers in the group is like the old fish scale days!
Turn, fall, turn, turn, fall....
John

That many teliers in the group is like the old fish scale days!
Turn, fall, turn, turn, fall....

Hey, I resemble that remark.  Last week it was all Teles, but not so crowded.  Glad you had good visibility AND nice powder.

I love that photo with just the person and the shadows pointing along the ski line. They're all nice, but I love the simple composition with the bold shadows in that one.

Jim, My friend Scott took that one with my wife's camera. It is also my favorite from the day.

Great day!  I had a blast and certainly feel it in my quads this morning.  Thanks again for the great tour!

Scott

I love the panorama!  I've been seeing that view of Stuart all year after a few tours.  Jim Hill is a lot of fun, and the west side of the Chiwaukum range is so impressive from that perspective on JH's summit.  Nice tour and photos!

jw - glad you like the pics, check out the new ones I just added. I was the first one up to the ridge east of the summit so I got a nice shot (both photo and ski) down the untracked snow at the top. Jim Hill is a bit of a slog, but the views and snow almost always are a good value IMHO.

I agree, the times I've been up there have always been great.  That W. slope of Rock Mtn. looks tastey!

Reply to this TR

march-22-2008-jim-hill
jd
2008-03-23 05:51:50