Home > Trip Reports > August 10, 2003, Stash Development Hike

August 10, 2003, Stash Development Hike

8/10/03
Posted by ron j on 8/25/03 7:57pm
It's a great time of year.  Once the carries start pushing 3 hours, even if you're "obsessed" with the streak thing, it doesn't hurt to back the ski tours down to once a month and spend the other weekends hiking those areas that you have been meaning to check out but were too busy skiing.  
It helps me to know what's under the snow I'm skiing if I can think back to what the terrain was like when I hiked it without snow on it.  It's nice to know what kind of anchoring there is, pitch angles, evidence of avy's (broken and flagged trees) etc.  Adds to the info package for decision making later on.  
The other bonus is it's a great time to check out new terrain for possible future "Stashes"!!
Let's start with an easy one:
Who can identify this slope?
Immediate family and ski partners that know where I hiked that day are not eligible for the competition  ;D

Hey Ron it looks like the base of Nisqually chute?

Yeah, snoslut, it DOES look a bit like the Nisqually chute, doesn't it!
Sorry, though, no cigar.
Thanks for guessing, though.  
I see you've allowed access to an email addy...
I think as soon as someone guesses it, I'll share some cool beta for making this area into a great ski tour (including gps track maps from recon hikes into the area) with everyone that has ventured a guess (to be provided via email).
This location is going to make for a really great day ski tour destination a little earlier in the season.

Who's next?

Ron you did not specify how many guesses per person so here's another one.  I am going to say somewhere off the Paradise/Cowlitz glacier or whats left of it.  I would not be suprised if it was somewhere else like the Flett/Russell though.

Niether one, snoslut.

Try again?

oh, oooooh, I know, I know!!   8)

Stoppit, MadDog, you're ineligible.
Get back in your neutral corner.

;D Even if I have to sit in the corner, I still know.

I know, I know; just dummy up, ok?
Let some of the other kids have a turn.

I think as soon as someone guesses it, I'll share some cool beta for making this area into a great ski tour (including gps track maps from recon hikes into the area) with everyone that has ventured a guess (to be provided via email).
This location is going to make for a really great day ski tour destination a little earlier in the season.

Who's next?

ron j has some great maps and way points of this future ski tour, now's a chance to get some of that info.  Good luck, keep those guesses comin in.  

OK Ron-From the looks of the picture. By looking closely at the picture it apears to be volcanic rock. I assume the exposure is North Facing and about 1000+/- vert. and easily accessible in the early season. How about Unicorn Glacier (not as easily accessible) or The north face of Governors Ridge (easier)?

Well Ron, that sure does look like almost everywhere steep and north-facing between 4500 and 7500 feet, on or around any of the volcanoes.  Last time I saw an almost identical scene, it was  a week ago on the snowfields below the Inner Glacier on Table Mountain....but that's a bit far afield for you, isn't it?  On the other hand, there's good skiing nearbye, a mere hour and a half from the car (or, in your case, from the tailgate).  

Woo Hoo!! Give that man a cigar!
(Sorry, Mark, I mean Joedabaker)
Your first guess got it.  In fact I don't know of any routes up the north side of Govenor's ridge that aren't just a straight bushwhack.  Do you know of any trail up the north side?
So if you care to shoot me an email I'll send you and snoslut the maps and the other beta I've accumulated for the "new stash", the suggested best way to access it, and the "official mandatory suggested stashworthiness protocol"  ;).

Wait 'till you guys see the next one... the one from last Sunday is even cooler!!  ;D.
Tell 'Em, MadDog!!

OTOH, Mark, good guess and good info for us all on the Table Mt. beta.  
Looks like you also snuck in under the wire for the beta on this one.  I'll include you on the email distribution.

Ok, the next one is really cool, it's so remote that the goats love this spot, and the marmots are shouting warning signals to each other as soon as you round the bend. Think about skiing and swimming in the same day, within a few yards of each other.  Didn't see any fish jumping so I don't think you'll need the fly rod.   8)

Thanks Ron, I owe it all to drooling over every possible ski route I see during the summer. I hope to put your hard earned, valued info to good use. Mark's suggestion was my 3rd choice (between St Elmos and Burroughs) if the others failed. Good job Mark! Although the gate to White River closes on first snow which does not make this easy.
In fact Governors Ridge is easy to get to when there is more snow on the ground (spring) . Just park and ski/hike West of the 410 and 123 junction. Just SE of Sheepskull gap. Head west to Gov. Ridge. I have not finished the hike due to equipment failure. Although my friends finished the climb that crests Governors ridge and looks right into Owyhigh Lake. Be aware High Avy danger in my opinion.
Just across from Owyhigh (in the same basin) is where the real sweet pitch is for early season. A beautiful grassy hill just east (faces Owyhigh) of Tamanos Mt gives up 1400 vert to the Owyhigh lake. It is on my list, but that old gate closing thing gets in the way. Yes-I'm to lazy. Thanks again. Sorry I missed the function. I'm sure there will be another!

Reply to this TR

august-10-2003-stash-development-hike
ron j
2003-08-26 02:57:54