Home > Trip Reports > Mar 19, 2008, Mt. Rainier, Mazama-Reflection Lakes

Mar 19, 2008, Mt. Rainier, Mazama-Reflection Lakes

3/19/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Andrew Carey on 3/19/08 12:24pm
Regine & I did a 12 mile RT on Mt. Tahoma trails on Tues, weather kind of sucked on Wed, so today we said lets do some sort of tour above Paradise even if the snow is supposed to be iffy.  Left the pkg lot and saw XC tracks headed down the P.V. road; said it must be gary (vogtski).  headed up mazama at 4th Xing, and saw splitboard tracks in addition to XC.  Caught up with gary on the ridge; all snow well exposed to the sun/radiation the day before was crusty, styrofoam, with some powder pockets.  the ceiling was dropping rapidly. so we decided to careem down to Reflection lakes. Very good call; lots of powder; did the refrigerator in pretty heavy snowfall; skinned up devil's dip trail to Barn flats, then cutover to the Jackson bldg.  6 miles, 1800 vf, 3 inches of new snow fell while we were there; encountered the boarders at the road near Jackson (they had just skied the back bowl and came down0.
did it again today  ;D

Even better with today's fabulous powder!!!

Dare I say Pensioner's Powder?

did 12 miles 1800 vf of pensioner's powder on ski patrol at MTTA today ;D

yeah we did it again today but the conditions were highly variable ... but fun ...

You forgot (?) to mention the amazingly crafted igloo at Reflection Lake...tell Regine that tomato juice is reputed to absorb the aroma...I'd thought I'd about seen it all, but a skunk in an igloo was a new one  ;)

Reply to this TR

mar-19-2008-mt-rainier-mazama-reflection-lakes
Andrew Carey
2008-03-19 19:24:32