Home > Trip Reports > March 16, 2008, Red Mountain - Kittitas County

March 16, 2008, Red Mountain - Kittitas County

3/16/08
WA Snoqualmie Pass
Posted by Lisa on 3/18/08 1:44am
After about a mile on road 46, we followed a tributary up a short distance through the forest on firm crust before entering a clear cut.  On a slope of roughly a thousand feet of 30-35 degrees, young sparsely laden trees had been pulverized from avalanche debris, snapped in two like toothpicks.

Over the callous crust we continued up and I wondered to myself if this would be our conditions all day.  In 800 ft. or so, the snow softened and I gained confidence that we just may find some good turns.  As we ascended further the snow became drier and our tracks sunk deeper in the fresh snow. 

Following the ridge up in short switchbacks the skin track became steep, nose over toes kind of steep, where you are not sure if your heel lifts are even up when indeed they are.   This went on for maybe 1200 feet until we reached the summit.  There we met a fun couple from Ellensburg, Aaron and his wife Keergan with whom we had spoken briefly at the trailhead. 
For nearly a thousand feet we enjoyed smiles and powder turns until breakable crust prevailed.  Inch thick crust would break only on every other turn it seemed, attempting almost to toss you down its flank.  I was humbled. 
Shortly thereafter the snow became solid crust, which was a relief to the previous jarring we endured.  Again, we found some trees with pockets of powder, then crust, and finally spring corn as we met up with the road.

http://picasaweb.google.com/victormesny/RedMountain
Great read, nice writing!  Sounds like a great trip.  Red Mtn. is a great area!

Hi Lisa,
It definitely was a great day. It was nice meeting both of you and hopefully we can ski sometime soon.
Keegan (& Aaron)

Reply to this TR

march-16-2008-red-mountain-kittitas-county
Lisa
2008-03-18 08:44:46