Home > Trip Reports > TR Brew the heli way March 16, 2008

TR Brew the heli way March 16, 2008

3/15/08
Posted by ema on 3/17/08 12:06pm
It's an ugly and vicious rumour that all Lillooet-based backcountry heli-assisted ski tours start with Kokanee and stunning lake views.

Oh air-donkey, how we love you and caress you with tender care

The Village of Lillooet was filming a documentary to showcase recreation in town in winter.  They needed ski models and Brian, Chris, Kevin and I needed something to do.  Having failed in yesterday's attempt to deathmarch myself into the ground I felt the urge to ski some big N faces.  It didn't take much work to convince me to take the easy way to Mt Brew - the massive relief overlooking Lilloeet (Brew - 2891m; Lilloeet - 260m =>  LOTS of elevation to drop)

The weather and conditions definitely could have been better.  The N face of Brew that we had wanted to ski looked like 45 degrees of 600m of wind-raked snow terminating in a shiny icy glissade.  We elected to drop onto a lower ridge that was a bit wind-protected.

Then we skied off the ridge with just enough sunlight and slutty turns to (hopefully) keep the filmers happy and make them feel like they got their money's worth

We didn't want to spoil that fine powder run by not bootpacking so up we went for another go at a chute that we later called "Fingernails on the Chalkboard" couloir or alternatively "Don't Eat Yellow Snow" couloir.

Fueled by thoughts of all-you-can down MSG at the Totem chinese restaurant we made a quick exit despite the standard Coast terrain of slide alder, downed trees, cutblocks and logging roads. 

More maps, beta etc so you can duplicate this wonderful expedition to be provided later.
I am in awe at all of your tr's.

author=LeeL link=topic=9491.msg38303#msg38303 date=1205809584]all-you-can down MSG at the Totem chinese restaurant

Way to git it, Lee!

http://www.leelau.net/2008/brew2008_03_16/ - full story

Interesting TR, Lee. For those who are unfamiliar with the mountains of SW BC, it would be good to point out that this is the big Mount Brew (2891 m) located 12 km S of Lillooet, not the better known Mount Brew (1757 m) located 18 km SW of Whistler. See Pemberton Airport webcams. Here is this morning's photo:

That is quite a huge rain shadow effect.

hi amar - your ski mountaineering site has been a great resource for me so i thank you for that.

There's a notable difference in snowpack between anything west of Cayoosh Pass and east.  Snowfall drops off dramatically after say the Downton creek drainage and decreases a lot at Brew in Lillooet.  It stays cold so the ice climbing is ok but the area doesn't get a lot of snow.  I'd say anything below about 1500m isn't great skiing around there - due to solar, thinning snowpack etc.  It was cheating to use the bird but it was also a subsidized cheap trip and it meant we didnt have to start at 4am. 

Yes- pemberton has much more snow then lillooet

Reply to this TR

tr-brew-the-heli-way-march-16-2008
ema
2008-03-17 19:06:24