Home > Trip Reports > TR: Joffre Group March 15, 2008

TR: Joffre Group March 15, 2008

3/15/08
Posted by ema on 3/17/08 11:04am
TR:  Joffre Group March 15, 2008 or Oh no not again

It started with great plans to summit and ski three peaks in one day but ended with a whited-out whimper.    The weekend's weather forecast looked it might give Brian and I a one-day window of good weather so we made a plan to ski into Cerise Creek, overnight at Keith's Hut then summit and ski Joffre, Matier and Slalok and exit via Joffre Lakes.

The plan started well as we set out from the Cerise Lot at 10:45.  In 1.5 hours we were at the hut and snoring

The next morning we were up before our hutmates.  Early morning fog burnt away and views became inspiring.  The first peak is a tedious slog via the standard route.  On the theory that its best to get the hardest out the way, we started up Joffre via Aussie Couloir.

Because we were relatively early, it was a nice climb.  It started getting seriously hot only at the top of the final pitch.

Summit and sunny!  Central Couloir does not look very inviting and we gave the cornices a wide berth

As luck would have it, cloud rolls in as we prepare to descend.  A half - hour of waiting doesn't help our body temps or mood and visibility remains shite

Clouds break a bit at the bottom - just enough to taunt us and make me think wild-thoughts about skiing Matier and Stonecrop in windows of blue sky sucker-holes.  In retrospect, I'm glad Brian remained sane and talked me out of it.

We did manage to eke out some decent turns retreating off the Matier and Anniversary Glaciers.  Brian however was frustrated in his goal of being the first person to put in a 10,000 foot day in the Joffre Group in alpine boots.

Will put up full TR, map, beta so you too can get to Circus Creek yourself later.
Nice ,very nice !
Cloudveil take note if these guys would had tan pants instead of those hot black ones they mighta got that 10,000' day in ! Note the thread "spring ski pants" in random tracks.

Nice job on Aussie, Lee. I have wanted to ski a combo platter of Aussie Couloir and Stonecrop Face in the same day. Stonecrop Face is a spectacular ski in a like setting, and I have yet to ski Aussie Couloir. Maybe someday I will get to combine the two.... How many people where at the hut on a Saturday night?

Toby - we went in on Friday night and there were 4 skis outside.  We slept inside on the lower level to not bug anyone as we wanted to leave early the next morning.  As we were up and out of there by about 730am we didn't actually confirm how many people were there.  Then we exited on Sat night so not too sure how many people were there but the parking lot was full - mind you there were a lot of daytrippers around. 

Next time I'm going to try to climb joffre via something more interesting - maybe the Joffre or twisting couloir or even the NW arm just to mix it up.  That's twice I've been whited out in Aussie coming down.

I've only been up there in summer. I was wondering what it'd look like in winter.

It might be comforting to know that the 15-16th held whiteout conditions for us at Chinook Pass with dashed hopes of descents of Naches and Yakima. :(  Nice pics though!  Looks like a fun trip though and still managed some great turns!

Reply to this TR

tr-joffre-group-march-15-2008
ema
2008-03-17 18:04:43