Home > Trip Reports > Temptation got the better of me . . .

Temptation got the better of me . . .

3/15/08
Posted by Teleskichica on 3/16/08 12:44pm
Read on for my "not it" submission:

The question is:  Who wasn't at the Longmire gate this morning?  At least one person said, "I think I'm going back to resort skiing to get away from the crowds . . ."  ::)

That being said . . . what a fantastic day.  Even the pea soup weather was greatly appreciated as it held the snow in prime condition and created the illusion that you were the only one on the hill . . . except for all the criss crossing s-lines and highway of an uptrack  of course.  :)

After a 3 week hiatus from backcountry skiing I could take no more and and made a frantic late night decision to forgo studying and join Ed (legdragger), Eric (legbreaker), and Chris (assdragger) in representing the Tacoma faction of those who earn their turns.  We arrived at Longmire just after 9 to join the crowds milling in the parking lot . . . shortly before 10, the gates opened, the crowds dispersed and many of us reunited at Narada Falls parking lot for the mad dash to Reflection lakes, where we dispersed once again with various ascents up to Pinnacle.  The snow seemed to be compacted and dense but light, cold and plenty of it!  Some of the very top layer sluffed at times, but overall, it seemed to be rather "set".  We climbed to just below Pinnacle saddle where the visibility was so low, we deemed it unnecessary to ascend any further and skied down for roughly 1100 vf.  It was so much fun, we promptly went for a repeat lap, again and again.  The fourth being the best.  Having finally gotten a feel for the terrain, as it was a first time for the four of us, we focused on the less obvious lines and hit the trees up for some untouched deposits where the snow was sublime and capable of eliciting giggles from me the whole way down and the most fantastic s*#@ eating grin from Ed.  Except for the lousy trap crust upon exiting through the trees at Narada . . . what an exceptional day!  And well worth the 10-20 percentage points I'm going to lose on that final exam this week . . .  ;D

Nice read ! glad you got out! Send it in as a essay and you might get some of those points back!

Holly - Great TR.
And many thanks for the surprise... it was perfect... and a party was had by all ;)

author=ron j link=topic=9481.msg38251#msg38251 date=1205728322]
... and a party was had by all ;)

Excellent!  Sharing reaps many rewards . . .

Missed actually seeing you on the slopes, any chance you were fine tuning the way points for the rubber tire traverse and descent?  ;D  (If so, I'll need an update.  ;) Haha)

Glad to hear you finally got your fix before going completely bonkers. For what gaineth a skier who gets passing grades but loseth his or her immortal soul?

author=Teleskichica link=topic=9481.msg38252#msg38252 date=1205729090">
Excellent! Sharing reaps many rewards . . .
Missed actually seeing you on the slopes, any chance you were fine tuning the way points for the rubber tire traverse and descent? ;D (If so, I'll need an update. ;) Haha)

Actually you hit the mark spot on, Holly.  Woman's intuition, eh?

Reply to this TR

temptation-got-the-better-of-me
Teleskichica
2008-03-16 19:44:12