Home > Trip Reports > March 15 Cave Ridge

March 15 Cave Ridge

3/15/08
Posted by Robie on 3/15/08 2:15pm
Ah, Our intentions were Snoqualomie MT but clouds and heavy snow got in our way. Had a good day and ski just the same. Jeffery,Jess,Jeff,Siegfried and Robie. Kind of circumcised Cave ridge. 12" of heavy wettish pushed out on the down stoke. Skied it at 35 degrees but wouldn' do any steeper than that. Got home in time to go to the Opera.
Good job. Hope you stayed awake during the opera.  It ain't over till the fat lady sings.  Maybe she woke you up.  You're a better man than me if you can get up for a cultural event like that after a day of climbing & skiing.  Kudos.

author=Robie link=topic=9471.msg38225#msg38225 date=1205644522]
Kind of circumcised Cave ridge.

Gosh, I didn't even realize the ridge had the sort of body parts that get circumcised ::)

That's a deep thought! As a old spelunker now you got me wondering why they call it Cave ridge. anybody know?

Donno why it's called 'Cave Ridge.'
I was just wondering if you meant 'circumnavigated' rather than 'circumcised.' Kinda different meanings.  ::)

I think it was in one of Beckey's guides that there used to be caves, but they were dynamited for safety reasons.
The following link has this to say, "On the way down we visited Cave Ridge. Caves were not hard to find at all. We found about a dozen and a half. A lot of the cave entrances where real small. Many were too small for a human, and all were slimy and not very inviting on such a pretty day. We noticed official cave registers at a couple of openings. We hiked the trail that follows the ridge to the saddle between Cave Ridge and Guye Peak. There is a nice pond here. Water is not hard to find on Cave Ridge either. We took the Guye Peak trail back to the junction with the Snoqualmie Mt trail. On a clear day, this is a four star hike. It’s steep, but if your knees can handle it, I highly recommend it."
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4424/FallWinter99/SnoqualmieMt.htm

I've heard of some caving up there with some narrow squeezes...

NW girl ,
We did both! If you must know we navigated around the top of the thing and cut it with our skis ;)

Great...thanks...cave ridge is now scarred ::)

author=Robie link=topic=9471.msg38304#msg38304 date=1205810083]
That's a deep thought! As a old spelunker now you got me wondering why they call it Cave ridge. anybody know?

There are several caves there that are developed in marble.  The most extensive cave, called Newton Cave, is 600' deep and 1800' total passage length, and includes several roped drops.

Caving, especially in alpine caves involving rope work, is a specialty activity just like BC skiing, requiring the applicable skill and gear if you want to do it and not die.  I would strongly recommend that anyone wanting to cave there should do so with someone who knows those specific caves.  I don't, but members of the Seattle chapter of the National Speleological Society http://www.cascadegrotto.org/ presumably know them well.

Reply to this TR

march-15-cave-ridge
Robie
2008-03-15 21:15:22