Home > Trip Reports > 3/15/08 Simcoe Mountains/Satus Pass

3/15/08 Simcoe Mountains/Satus Pass

3/15/08
Posted by pabloson on 3/15/08 4:12am
Wow, was it ever unstable yesterday in my usual playground.  I've been skiing up there for 6-7 years almost weekly and I have never seen anything like it.

There was about a 6 inch slab on NE aspects.  The snow was very consolidated and heavy.  About 4800 feet.  There were some large new cornices. 

I was feeling pretty complacent even with the avalanche warnings, simply because I can never find any evidence of instability up there (oh and maybe because of the t-shirt skiing last week).  However, I remembered how this type of psychology is often the culprit in fatalities so I decided to do a slope test before skiing.  I found a good representative test slope with one single medium sized tree just over the lip.  I stepped down and barely touched with one ski and 10 X 10 foot section of slab cut loose, broke up, and floated down the hill (30 degrees).  I hightailed it out of there because the one tree seemed like bare minimum protection and it was white-out conditions.  In a more protected area I fooled around with slope tests and cornice bombs and got some similar results.  The bed surface was very hard slippery ice. 

I am very excited to finally discover what I have been training to discover!  It was like ohhhhhhhhhhhh, that's what it looks like.  I learned a lot yesterday.  I didn't get to ski really but it was a great trip nevertheless.

Here's an old picture of the general area.
That looks like some really pleasant, enjoyable terrain.  Some time when I am coming from Oregon way I will have to try er out.  About how long does it take on average to get to one of the good high points from the parking area? Where do you park?

Glad you made it back without a hairy ride.

It takes between 1 or 2 hours to get to one of the good skiing slopes from the parking area (there is a small primitive pull out area right at the top of the pass just past the Satus Pass sign).  It depends on whether or not you are breaking trail or get to follow a snowmobile track and which hill you are aiming for. 

You can get to the old ski hill in about 20 minutes, but it doesn't have much vert.

Cool maybe next season I'll try that out.

Nice looking area!  What state is this in and more specifically.  how do I get to the trail heads from Bend, Or?

Basically just get on 97 and head north!

It's in south central washington about 30 minutes north of the Columbia river on hwy 97.  The nearest town is Goldendale. 

That will work!  Thanks.......

Don't forget the bridge over the Columbia on hwy 97 is closed. You'll need to detour to The Dalles.

Reply to this TR

3-15-08-simcoe-mountains-satus-pass
pabloson
2008-03-15 11:12:58