Home > Trip Reports > March 14, Mt. Rainier, Mazama Ridge

March 14, Mt. Rainier, Mazama Ridge

3/14/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Gary Vogt on 3/14/08 11:17am
Paradise has had over two feet of snow in the past two days.  It took about two hours to break about a mile and a half of trail from Paradise up Mazama Ridge, leaving time for only a few runs.  Ski penetration was about two feet.  There were quite a few point-release and small soft-slab avalanches on steeper E and S slopes at the head of Paradise Valley.  All of these seemed to be within the upper foot of snow.

The Longmire gate opened a little after noon and closed again at 3:30 due to slides across the road at Glacier Hill & the big switchback below Christine Falls.  These lower slides appeared to have run on the old crust during afternoon sunbreaks.
I am currently drooling and pissed off that I decided to draft my fantasy baseball team tomorrow morning. My friends on the east coast do not realize that skiing takes top priority. I want to ski now...

Will be getting some of that on Sunday, thanks for setting a skin track. You are a stud!

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks, but I forgot to mention I had help from a couple breaking trail.  They're camped near 4th Crossing & will no doubt have the uptrack re-broken before the road opens tomorrow.  Sounded like they might try to break an uptrack on Bundy's as well...There was also a large group in Longmire today planning an extended weekend at Reflection Lk, which should ease the approach to the Tatoosh.  The avy situation seemed real sketchy.  I would especially avoid Narada Face tomorrow afternoon if it gets warm...

Reply to this TR

march-14-mt-rainier-mazama-ridge
Gary Vogt
2008-03-14 18:17:49