Home > Trip Reports > August 15, 2003, Ptarmigan Ridge, Baker

August 15, 2003, Ptarmigan Ridge, Baker

8/15/03
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Charles on 8/16/03 11:09am
The forecast had been threatening all week that a low would drag in the cool marine air, finally settling on the afternoon of the day Pete and I had chosen to do some August turns. With that in mind we got an early, 11:00 AM, start under sunny and warm conditions. Nice trail hike with both Mt. Baker and Mt. Shuksan out in their full beauty. We checked over the saddle just north of Pt 5831 but it looked like the longer runs on the north side of Ptarmigan Ridge were in the area of Coleman Pinnacle (as we had surmised from earlier trip reports), so we kept on the trail to below Coleman Pinnacle. We booted to the top of the east-facing snowfield there, then to the ridge to look at the north-facing runs, which were perhaps a little longer than on the trail side of the ridge, but well suncupped and, we guessed, not softening as much. So we skied the east-facing run down across the trail, then over a lip, by a waterfall, and to the end of the tongue of snow; about 800vf, not too badly suncupped, fairly well softened.

We booted back to the trail, hiked it a short distance and then about 100' down the ridge which runs south toward a lake. There, we were able to put on the skis and glide/skate across to the top of a north-facing run which lies just under Pt 5847. The snow had looked less suncupped on this run from afar, but this turned out to be an illusion, and it was firmer than our first run. It was a little too jarring at the top to be fun, but the turning got somewhat better as we descended. Part way down we spooked a group of mountain goats into displaying their rock climbing prowess on the nearby orange cliffs, and skied to the end of the snow at ~4800'. Pete being a geologist, on the way back up we pondered the wide variety of rocks and deposits, and were able to climb directly back to the bottom of our first run and use our steps to regain the trail. The marine air seemed to arrive at this time, with a single dark band of clouds and a few sprinkles of rain, but this quickly passed and the sun returned for the hike out. Back at the car, evidence that the marine air was pushing in could be seen in a band of fog forming along the west side of Mt. Shuksan and pouring over Shuksan Arm. With luck (decent October snow), only one more difficult month to go!

Here's a view of the north side of Ptarmigan Ridge, with Coleman Pinnacle on the far left, from the saddle just SW of Table Mountain:
Thanks for the report and photo, Charles.  I took a couple of non-skiing guests out there today, and managed to squeeze in a few quick runs before sprinting back to meet them in the parking lot.  I didn't have time to ski north of Coleman Pinnacle, but I did clamber up for a quick look and boot-glissade, and the snow was soft and almost free of suncups.  Sholes Glacier looked pretty good, too, from a distance.

I actually skied the same slopes that you did, and found them by comparison moderately cupped and choppy.  There's definitely lots of skiing left up there, and it'll be hanging around for a while.  I'll probably head up there once more this month, then start thinking about September options.  Maybe Ron and Mad Dog will cater us a nice tailgate party.

The herd of mountain goats you saw are settling in up there: about 20 of them, including a number of kids.  They seem to have a high tolerance for silly humans (children chasing, photographers stalking, etc.).

Enjoy,

Mark

Mark, that's interesting that our perceptions were so different, but since you actually went onto the snow on the north side I'd guess that your assessment is probably the more accurate one (I only looked from the ridge top - should have put forth a little more effort and set foot on the snow).

I also thought that the Sholes looked good, but then again the snow on our second run appeared minimally suncupped from our vantage of the first run, until we got over to it, and we weren't all that far away. I always find it difficult to evaluate the degree of suncupping from a distance, although I'm beginning to learn that if it looks somewhat suncupped from a distance, then it probably will look even more suncupped up close.

The group of goats we saw consisted of 4 adults and 2 kids, but some hikers said they saw a larger group in the area, which we couldn't see. I'm glad to find out that we probably didn't traumatize them too much (we came upon them pretty fast since we were skiing).

Hey Charles - Was wondering if you might happen to have any other photos of the Park Glacier on Baker with slightly more zoom than the one you posted.  Trying to scope out route conditions.

Thanks. ;)

David - check your email (the one you used to register here).

Ooooohhhh, the Park Headwall looks cool. Schrund might be a problem. Seems like the glacier doesn't have too many open crevasses, though. Lookin forward to the weekend....... :) :) :) :) 8)

Hey Paul...yes, I got Charles' e-mail and sent him a thanks.  Also, see the picture on cascadeclimbers.com in my thread (towards the bottom)...

hopefully the upper 'shrund is passable at far climber's left (very near where it meets the rock)...looks like one could squeeeeeeeze through there ya think??

Maybe right in the middle, too. Looks like a real tool might come in handy. Let's hope it's warm and corn!

Edit: I just looked at the photo on cc.com. Holy Sh1t that thing looks steep! But I'll bet it only foreshortened. As for the schrund, looks like either far right or far left will work. It's lookin kinda big.

yeah, it should be quite warm...upper 70's to low 80's in the lowlands, so I suspect it'll be a cooker up there too.  Ohh yeah, the headwall is definitely steep, and sustained until you reach the 'shrund...most claims are between 45 to low-to-mid 50 degrees (in fact, there is a segment in Beckey which claims over 60 degrees).  If it's good snow conditions, should be no problem.  The goal is to ski the main headwall, so crossing over by the rock band (below the summit) is the best option.  If other portions are passable, it doesn't provide for as fall-line of a descent, and is more a loooong traverse off of Grant Peak (true summit).  we'll just have to see.  

Reply to this TR

august-15-2003-ptarmigan-ridge-baker
Charles
2003-08-16 18:09:16