Home > Trip Reports > March 6-9, 2008, Wallowa Mtns. OR.

March 6-9, 2008, Wallowa Mtns. OR.

3/6/08
Posted by Broz on 3/11/08 10:34pm
We arrived to find that the first warm up since winter had consolidated the snowpack. An additional 18 inches of fresh fell the day before arrival and was well bonded to the older layers. A shovel tap test on a 30 degree slope resulted in 10 hits from elbow pulverizing the fresh snow without budging the underlayers. The only indications of snow movement were at the steepest chutes. Sunny weather on day 1 made for an enjoyable trip in but cooked the surface at angles exposed to the sun. We focused on North and North East exposures and were able to find fresh turns for the rest of the trip. The clouds lifted on day three and we went out with the intention of yoyoing some of the closer in freshness but got distracted into a fantastic tour with views from the Snake River to the Blue Mountains. Had the place to ourselves.
Nice work, Broz! Is that Norman on Baker SL's and Dynafits?

Hey Greg thanks,
No that is not Norman. I got a killer deal on the SL's and took the plunge to the Dynafits.

Looks like a hoot from the looks of those tracks.  Which trail head drainage were you working out of and what do you recommend as it looks like another dump of freshies is on the way for Central, Oregon and I imagine the Wallowas?

SG, We were staying in the Big Sheep drainage which was booked up. But the North East aspect of Wing Ridge looked readily available from the Salt Creek Snowpark

We spent the week of Feb 24-Feb 29 at the Wing Ridge Huts. Sounds like we had similar conditions as you did. It dumped the Saturday 2/23 before we skied in through Monday 2/25 and then cleared up so we spent the rest of the week hunting for freshies on north aspects that hadn't been blasted by the sun. We were able to ski the big bowls off of Wing Ridge and did a big tour on Wing Ridge over to McCulley Basin and back.

What amazing terrain.

If you get a chance I'd recomend taking an extra day and skiing Fergi. It's a small hill (650 vert) with a T-Bar but a lot of fun.

Did you guys hit TG? It's a must!

The girl wants to go stay in Joseph and snowshoe around the Wallowas...looks like I'm convinced! ;)  Nice report!

Reply to this TR

march-6-9-2008-wallowa-mtns-or
Broz
2008-03-12 05:34:52