Home > Trip Reports > Chute 'em till they die - 3.9.08 - Crystal BC

Chute 'em till they die - 3.9.08 - Crystal BC

3/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Stugie on 3/10/08 11:10am
After some good days touring together, Kyle and I set out for some hopefully untouched lines.  Although some of the area had been skied up a bit (Kyle and Ash hit it the thurs. before), we still thought there was plenty of good stuff yet to be had.  Early in the day we ran into thin crusts on anything without shade or somewhat N aspect.  Later in the day, these made for descent corn.  The good stuff was there though, and worth the hiking.

We started out through silver and crossed near threeway peak to gain access to placer lake.  From the lake we dropped and traversed and then skinned up again to an area we like to refer to as the "nectar" bowl.  We also gained access to some fun chutes and overall had a great day.

North facing aspects had the best snow obviously.  Not the lightest, but definitely worth it.  Knee shots only if lucky, but still no scraping underneath.

Although we started out at around 10am, we still managed to get 7 runs in and were back to the car about 6:30 or so.  A lot of skinning, a bit of rock climbing, and all fun.
and a few more

I like those black and white shots!  ;D verrrrrrrrrrrrrry niccccccccce!

Mary and I must have been right behind you guys, although we went down to Crystal Lake and around.  Got a late start too with the time change.  We envied some nice lines in a steep chute that might have been yours in "Nectar" and noted that for our next trip.  Nice job!   We had intended to go out to Chinook Pass, but I was on my first trip with dynafit bindings.  What a cluster @#$!  Whoever invented those things??  I longed for my tele's all day!  Still had a beautiful trip with some great corn down toward Deadwood Lake and pow from Sourdough gap.  Nice pics.

Scotsman - Thanks!  It was actually an accident that I turned the pics b&w, but I think they turned out alright too!

Paul - I was trying to post a pic of the chutes we dropped, but it didn't attach properly.  I think we ended up seeing about 11 people, 5 of whom dropped "nectar" near the end of the day, so we headed to another basin further E that still had some decent lines to be had.  Sorry to hear about your dynafits...they're definitely lighter than the trekkers, that's for sure!  Glad you guys got some of the goods too!

**Modify: Add Pic**

Nice to meet you guys.

I was the guy that straightlined the slot into the righthand blue line only to bobble at the exit and wreck catastrophically. My Dynafits did not come off....

I was actually planning on nabbing first tracks on the larger one after a run from the top of Morse Pk and then saw you punks skinning up around the corner. You snaked my line man! No worries ;)

I have some pics of our day @
http://flickr.com/photos/jmalczyk/sets/72157604087611845/

There are a bunch of pics of a massive snow cave we found on our way out near the cat track turnaround below Silver Basin.

Kylie asked our group if we knew where we were at.  Myself and Scott Kingland were not very amused. 

The snow cave you discovered is the one that is used for the snack break on the guided snowshoe tours. 

We found a bottle of Stolichnaya at the cave ... is that what passes for a "snack" these days? Sign me up!

author=RichV link=topic=9428.msg38104#msg38104 date=1205351107]
The snow cave you discovered is the one that is used for the snack break on the guided snowshoe tours. 

Rich is correct they have been building snow caves there for years

author=RichV link=topic=9428.msg38104#msg38104 date=1205351107]
Kylie asked our group if we knew where we were at.

That's really funny. ;D ;D
It goes to show that you never know when you are in the presence of the Grand Master of Crystal's BC. I can think of a couple folks, but not many who know that terrain better than Scott.

The track going up was looking good but we were too far North to want to traverse / climb the Morse creek back-side. Your  descent tracks sure looked inviting though. Did anyone track your elevation + / - data to come up with the overall vertical? I'd be curious as to how much climbing is involved but pretty sure it's a 5K + day. Right around a 2 run day at the "Ridge too far", another seldom visited C.M. destination with 7 drop-ins that go 55 - 40 degrees & a thousand vertical a go. Worth mentioning, a couple years ago 4 Mtn. Goats ran down the adjacent ridge, went out of sight for a couple minutes & then appeared again 50 feet away from us in a tight grove of trees. You got the best of what was around & maybe see you there next time.  Great report!

Jerm - It was nice meeting you guys too!  I have to say I am way jealous of those prophets!  ;)  Nice pics too!  You got a really nice line...I wasn't sure where it dropped in at...the rock at top confused me!  Too bad I figured it out halfway through!

I prefer to "snack" on JD, but whatever works, right?

Rippy - I'm not at all sure how much elevation +/- we had...I could probably check a topo and guess, but I'm too lazy to do that.  We did have two really good runs, one at the end of the day that dropped us deep into the valley...probably near 2000'?  (The bowl further east than "nectar") The other lines were significantly shorter.

Sorry all about the names of places.  I'm still learning the local names for stuff. 

As for Kyle, I really have a lot of fun touring with him with and he can shred. 8)  After climbing and backpacking all over the cascades, it's definitely fun to see how it fills in during winter!  Lines that were once good climbing or scrambling become skiable...WA is great!

Reply to this TR

chute-em-till-they-die-3-9-08-crystal-bc
Stugie
2008-03-10 18:10:44