Home > Trip Reports > March 9, 2008, MRNP Tatoosh

March 9, 2008, MRNP Tatoosh

3/9/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 3/10/08 1:05am
It was a BIG day for the "geezers"  :D, thanks MD2020 for putting up with our slow pace, we missed you Brenda.  Started out at Narada Falls with cold temps and visions of breakable crusty snow.  Arriving at the trailhead by Reflection Lake the snow had softened quite nicely with the warming temps.  Our climb up towards Pinnacle Chute was smooth going and nice skinning conditions.  We kept saying we were sure passing up lots of great skiing, but our "geezer" schedule was tight so we kept moving.  Arriving at the base of Pinnacle Chute we did a quick snow pit evaluation.  There was a sheer layer at about 10" down, most likely from an earlier buried surface hoar layer, a crust down approx 2 to 2 1/2 feet.  It took considerable pounding to produce any results, almost 30 before any failure. Climbed Pinnacle Chute with sunny skies and warm temps, headed to Plummer, skiing the upper, smooth silky snow, skied down into Denman, then up and over to Lane Chute, the snow was fantastic, lots of wind packed powder everywhere, north aspects were getting a little heavy towards days end on lower Lane.  Climbed back to the road and ended our day with a final run on Narada face which skied very nice even late in the day  8).photos
Very nice tour guys! I was looking at the Tatoosh when I was up on Muir on Saturday and they looked so  wild and magnificent. Great choice. ;D

That sounds like a fun loop.  You must have really been moving ;)

I am curious; from the top of the Pinnacle chute did you tour around the south side of Pinnacle to reach Plummer?  If so, how far down do you drop to gain the shoulder?

Also, passing good snow for other good snow?  What got into you?

no, we didn't go up that chute. We went up the one just to the west of the Pinnacle. Between Pinnacle and Plummer. Didn't look like you have to drop too far to go the route you describe. There are some rocks that extend down a couple hundred feet, but looks like there may be a snow filled gap a bit higher.

That was a nice tour, and as usual, the Tatoosh always delivers. Really nice snow over there.

Looks like you also had a good day on plummer. My partner and I lapped Plummer and Denman milking out 6300' on saturday.  The Tatoosh has so much to offer. Aside from the usual delays at the gate, the day couldn't have been better. Sounds like an enjoyable tour.

Glad you made it up to the object of your desires, Michael.  It's a longer line than it looks like from the  mountain side, eh?
More pictures HERE.

Schu - We saw your tracks up there... looks like you indeed had your way with Plummer & Denman.

Very nice!!  Another place I must get to....

author=schu link=topic=9423.msg38033#msg38033 date=1205205158]
My partner and I lapped Plummer and Denman milking out 6300' on saturday.

6300'! Wow!

Thanks for the report Mad_Dog!  My arm/shoulder is still healing, but hope to see you and crew late spring or early summer.  Thank goodness for TAY trip reports or I'd be having no season at all...   ;)

The wise elders displayed their wisdom for this trip choice.

Living vicariously through others.

Reply to this TR

march-9-2008-mrnp-tatoosh
JMor
2008-03-10 08:05:11