Home > Trip Reports > August 10, 2003, Paradise Glacier

August 10, 2003, Paradise Glacier

8/10/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by skip on 8/10/03 12:15pm
Enlightened by Ron and Jeanette, I firmly decided this past spring that I too would make turns all year. How difficult could it be?  I ski 8+ months per year, what's 4 more?  

Enter summer.  

Having recently returned from a 5-week hiatus, I had not been on my skis since July 1 at Logan Pass, MT.  And though back at home, I found all of my August free time accounted for...save this weekend.  In a panic, I called Kam L. last night with a plea to help me keep the TAY dream alive.  He acquiesced, saying he knew just the spot: Upper Paradise Glacier.

Having not been in the trip reports since June, I had no idea all of the big names have been skiing Paradise Glacier of late.  It's flattering in retrospect.  Ignorant of his genius at the time, Kam and I followed the dirt track up to the glacier this morning despite NPS threats of "occasional showers and isolated thunderstorms." We of course paid no heed. How could we? What with the flowers bursting along the Skyline trail and the sky a spectacular smattering of grays, whites, and patchy blue--it was all too brilliant.

Outside of our coming across Jerry W. on the trail, himself with the same idea, we saw no one beyond the foot of the lower glacier.  Initially traveling on climber's left, we shortly opted to change course to climber's right for several large, thinly bridged cracks running from left-to-center mid-way up the ascent.  As we later discovered, these are still run-able on skis with a little speed behind you, but we chose not to tempt fate on the uptrack.  Climber's right continues to have virtually full coverage along the flanks of the glacier.

We saw a lonely few sets of tracks on the Upper, crossing over some as we climbed to the desired locale, then laid down 1000' of our own.  I don't know about all of this "sun cup"(?) business, as we spent the afternoon in the steep-and-deep.  Kam captured the day on film:

In our skins for a second go, an interesting thing happened: clouds suddenly blew in from the east, and a bolt of lightening flashed overhead close enough to raise the hair on my arms.  We opted to make a hasty descent.  In our retreat, the lower glacier offered several opportunities for turns on skier's right, a point proven first by Jerry.  My advice, however, is to ski here at your own risk, as we crossed over more than a couple of sagging bridges with rushing water below.  

All in all it was a lovely day, mild scares notwithstanding.  Though few, the turns we did make were well worth the hike.  Looking ahead, if any charitable soul can offer pointers for September-October, I'm all ears.
Sorry I missed Kam's call, Skipper.  I'd have joined you guys.  Having nailed my August turns already, I had relegated myself to a "ski tour recon" hike.  Got some good stuff scoped out for when the snow flies again.
Glad you and Jerry nailed your August turns.  
And... umm... on you comment regarding the lack of suncups... while I realize that the suncups are minimal where you skied,  I nonetheless suspect you may have inadvertently linked the wrong photo.  That one looks to me like one of Kam coming down Bundy's Blunder in like, maybe, January?  ;D
And then there's another little oddity that caught my eye: last time I was up on the PG I didn't see any TREES!!  ;D
Great report.
Nice grins.
So did you guys get any REAL pictures?

Skip you are such a great wordsmith !  Good to see you cats yesterday.  Some of those bridges on the lower are gettin thin ???      pretty cool .  see you next time Jerry 8)

Ron,

You of course are right about the picture, I was just having some fun.  The sun cups weren't bad at all up there--the same as in the related TR's I've since read; we cut right through in the soft afternoon. It was fun fun fun.  I have some pics but no where to post them at this point - I'm still working on that capability.

Jerry, I don't know how I missed that! Nice photos.

All hopes to see you soon.
-s

Skip and Kam, nice shot of the waist deep stuff, you must have really found yourself a "secret" spot there  ;D

Looks like we are going to have to plan a road trip for our Sept turns.

Jerry nice photo of the rock. Did you see the goat back there?

Reply to this TR

august-10-2003-paradise-glacier
skip
2003-08-10 19:15:20