Home > Trip Reports > 3-6-08 Shastina, S.E. face to Cascade Gulch

3-6-08 Shastina, S.E. face to Cascade Gulch

3/6/08
Posted by danhelmstadter on 3/7/08 3:53am
The weathermen screwed up again, a sunny forecast materialized to a blend of morning sunshine and clouds (beautiful sunrise) giving way to all high clouds. The surface conditions above 10k were variable, with mostly glaze surface ice from 11k to 12.2k, with the occasional patch of windslab. I have wanted to ski the NE or the E face for sometime, but access from the north entails bushwhacking through lava-moraine strewn high dessert brush for many a mile.
I started from Bunny Flat, and made an upwards traverse across hidden valley to the very tame and obvious Cascade Gulch. Poking around on the top of the NE and E faces revealed hard surface ice on these steep routes.  I skidded my way down the SE face to 10, or 11k where conditions changed to superb corn - although there are some good 40ish-dg shots down low on the CG route, it is a pretty boring ski.

I took a cool picture of Shasta from the north summit of Shastina - I'll try and upload it in a day or two.
author=danhelmstadter link=topic=9402.msg37915#msg37915 date=1204919594]
The weathermen screwed up again, a sunny forecast materialized to a blend of morning sunshine and clouds (beautiful sunrise) giving way to all high clouds. The surface conditions above 10k were variable, with mostly glaze surface ice from 11k to 12.2k, with the occasional patch of windslab. I have wanted to ski the NE or the E face for sometime, but access from the north entails bushwhacking through lava-moraine strewn high dessert brush for many a mile.
I started from Bunny Flat, and made an upwards traverse across hidden valley to the very tame and obvious Cascade Gulch. Poking around on the top of the NE and E faces revealed hard surface ice on these steep routes.  I skidded my way down the SE face to 10, or 11k where conditions changed to superb corn - although there are some good 40ish-dg shots down low on the CG route, it is a pretty boring ski.

I took a cool picture of Shasta from the north summit of Shastina - I'll try and upload it in a day or two.

Nice one Dan!!  BTW this route looks like it is not as boring as the standard one from Bunny Flat through Red Banks on the the big mt.--What's the story?  How about Hotlum?Bolum north side.. would it be going corn yet or too much shade...........SG

The winds really have done a number on the north side of Shasta this year. The Whitney is the foremost glacier in the photo, then the upper Bolam can be seen further to lookers left. You may notice the blue hue covering these glaciers. A ranger mentioned that the east-side: Hotlum, Clear Creek, would most likely hold the best skiing. To far of a drive to go and scope them from the road for now.

Wow, that mountain is indeed scowered!!!!!!  Thanks for the input and picture.  Looks like it might not be worth the drive for the Hotlum/Bolum this year, unless coverage improves.

I wouldn't give up on Shasta yet. We are expected snow this weekend. Hotlum/Bolam is usually accessible by mid-May early-June. The earliest I've sked it was May 9th which is the earliest the road has been open all the way to the trailhead.  8)

Hi Telewoman...thanks for your input.  If you know of any cool changes happening on that side (or any side for that matter) would you keep me aprised?.

I've done Hotlum/Bolum once and I must say that that was one feeling of ski acomplishment as the whole route was completely filled with the BIGGEST most GINORMOUS (heard that is a word now but probably spelled wrong...) sun cups that the world has ever had.  I was so slow though that all the people hiking down passed me right away and I eventually lost sight of everybody (good training I think I was telling my self..).  Next time I would like to cut the training down and at least have smaller (much smaller ) suncups.

Reply to this TR

3-6-08-shastina-s-e-face-to-cascade-gulch
danhelmstadter
2008-03-07 11:53:14