Home > Trip Reports > August 3, 2003, MRNP PG (bestir to bestiality)

August 3, 2003, MRNP PG (bestir to bestiality)

8/3/03
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JMor on 8/3/03 8:21pm
It's been a fine summer here in the PNW  8) with wonderful hot weather, only thing, our snow is melting away fast.  Thinking about where to go and what to ski left little to ponder since most of the lower elevation has been blanketed in the prolific beauty of wildflowers.  There were 4 of us that met for our August harvest, Paul, Todd, Ron, and myself for the Paradise Glacier and surrounding fields, hoping to find some of that late season corn.  We arrived at the lower Paradise parking around 8:30ish, loaded skis on packs and headed up the Mazama trail in the beauty of lush greenery and sweet smells of wildflowers, taking a short break at the Stevens-Van Trump memorial.  Amazing how one can be so easily overwhelmed by the beauty that you seem to forget that ski poles are a handy item to have, huh Paul.  Just a short detour back and he was good to go again, no problem.  Guess this now puts you in the same catagory with "Markharf", since I've heard that he looses things too.  We carried our skis to the end of the maintained trail where we were able to start skinning.  The Paradise Glacier moraine is melting out, but still enough coverage that we were able to skin into the large waterfall rock area towards the north end, center, of the moraine before de-skiing.  The Paradise Glacier itself is still in pretty good condition, with some dirty glacier icy patches on climbers left, skiers left, still provides some nice options with minimal sun cupping.  The four of us "stashed" some of our gear at certain locations to lighten our packs for our August "harvest", and harvest we did, with almost 1,000vf of sweet summer, sun ripened corn, for our first run!   ;D  Climbing back to the top just to do it again for another 1,000.  We returned to the car after 5, noticing that the overflow from the Paradise parking was spilling down the lower road more than half the distance.  If not for the skiing, it's a great time to view the flowers.  We did see the resident mountain goat, grazing, perched high amidst the cliffs on the glacier moraine.
Ron will have photos available for viewing shortly.
Turned out to be a pretty good ski day for August on a low snow year.
Here's a shot of Todd rippin' it up:

More pics (3 pages of 'em!) are at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/paradise8303.msnw

Ron: You and your group are uncanny at picking a spot, and then riding it out until you find the next great spot!

Nice photos. I'm in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, checking up on my (enviable) soulmates laying down the cool lines. Thanks, again, for such great photographic documentation; it;s the next best thing to being there.

Greg Lange

You certainly are getting a lot of use out of The Place Where All The Snow Goes For The Summer.  Apparently, you've even mastered the art of flattening suncups by repeated spooning of tracks; thus, the skiing looks better and smoother each time you go.  Too bad I'm so forgetful I can't even remember how to get there, or I'd join you once or twice.

Greg - Thanks for the kind words.  Anything to help out a fellow bc skier -- especially one stranded in Milwaukee!!

Mark - I know how you feel, mate.  Those semi-senility years just keep getting closer.  Maybe if you can just remember how to get to Paradise I might figure out how to get my walker close to some skiable snow??.

Well, Mad Dog, I'll have to ask for the $ 20 back that I thought was a good bribe, so much for honesty amongst skiers!;D Indeed the flowers were at thier peak with some very bright yellow monkey flowers just past the waterfall. An excellent corn harvest it was and taken in with good company.We'll have to do again real soon, skiing the ah,...well I'll be darned if I can't remember, has anyone seen my ski poles?. Todd says he has some more pictures that he'll post soon.
Later  

Paul

Um.. Ah.. I didn't actually see any $ change hands there, Paul.  If it actually did, it obviously means you should have paid it to ME!
8)

Well Ron, you know what they say 'The check is in the mail':DAnd thanks for the cold cans of Bud they were mighty tasty!!

Paul

Has anybody seen Paul's poles?  Where can those confounded poles be? ???

They might be next to Ron's 'Minty planks of love'. ;D

http://community.webshots.com/album/84589800SktFOD

http://community.webshots.com/photo/84589800/84590473CjonzW

With much thought involved, I finally was able to catch Paul's best side.    ;)

Nice pics, Todd.
And I see you got it film, photographic proof that Geezer Paul walked off without his poles!! ;D
http://community.webshots.com/photo/84589800/84591727fHUnHF

LOL!!!!  Good eyes.  And your reply. Paul?

Ron, thanks for the beers.  They hit the spot.   I have scars on my ankles from that day.   That's a first.  

Ok, I've got to ask.  Who's skiing the fischer expedition hitrax skis?  I only ask because those were my first backcountry skis and they hold a special place in my heart.  Of course, I love my current skis so much (K2 Shuksans) that it would be hard to go back.

That gets me thinking.  Folks that know me would probably agree that I have a potentially excessive ski collection.  I just can't resist, when I see a beautiful pair with nice curves I get smitten.  That, combined with some years of more forced overtime than I want has led me to 3 randonee and 2 downhill rigs, along with a couple "old girlfriends" that still take my calls once in a while.  This is not counting those black & yellow fischers.

So, is there anyone out there (or does anyone know someone) who might want a free pair of fischer hitrax expedition skis?  They are 193's and I believe the stats are something like 107-70-97.  They are pretty lightweight, and although certainly used, they probably have some life left.  They have drill holes from dynafit bindings.  The ideal candidate would like skiing a lot more than working (I suppose that goes for all of us actually), perhaps a ubiquitous member of the "leisure class" that exists in the lower realms of the economic strata.  A poor college student or someone getting started in backcountry skiing would also be the kind of person I am looking for.

Hey Corey, you can always donate them to a club, I know the UW Climbing Club has a few skis for members to borrow.

And BTW, I'm curious, what are your AT rigs? Those Shuksans sure looked nice...

Paul

they are mine.  they're the updated model, called Alltrax Freeride.  They're marketed as tele boards but the only time I've seen them on the slopes are with fixed heals so they make good alpine boards.  They're named proper because I can take them anywhere and in any condition, though powder is the best.   They certainly can take the punishment I give them.  

Speaking of Shuskins, you guys, the power-ski-shopper Robie called me last night to let me know that the K2 outlet in Fife is going to be open today and that there's some Shuskins, some AK Launchers and a whole gaggle of Piste Stinx for prices ranging for something like $100 to $150... even as low as $25 for some of the drilled and used Piste Stinx's.
Better get down there if you are looking for a deal on any of these.  When Martin hears about it he's liable to head down there and clean them out; at least of the Shuskins.  I would if I were him.

thanks for the heads up, Ron.  Any idea where in Fife the K2 outlet is?

It's right there on 20th street in fife in the same complex as the big Sportco store (around the corner).  
The K2 outlet only opens sporatically, presumably when they build up an excess of extra gear.
I just came back from there.  There was several sets of AK Launchers (2@165 + others), 1 set of Work Stinx @ 190, 1 set of Shuskins (185's?) all at $150 as I recall, + a bunch of others @ $100 (totally's, supers, and such).
All the older stuff (mostly kids and non-shaped) was like around $20.

(edited to remove map link which seemed to make thread excessively wide)

Thanks, Ron.  Sounds like I might be making a purchase this afternoon.  

mission successfull!!!!  I pick up a new pair of Work Stinx and a pair of totally Piste, all for the grand sum of $200.   Paul picked up a pair of Piste Stinx for his neighbor and a pair of Shuksans for himself.  All for about $150.  thanks again for the headsup.

cool.
Rock on.
8)

I'm glad those skis went to friendlies ! The only problem with owning a lot of skis is that you gotta have a lot bindings and skins. I don't dare bring anymore home cause Mrs Robie (Laurie )is getting hip to all my hiding spots!Thanks to Ron for passing it on cause I got busy.

Man, those look like good deals!  BTW are there any Shuksans left?  

These are my setups:

185 K2 Shuksans with Tri-steps
184 Atomic 10.ex with Fritchis
190 Dynafit AT carve lite with Dynafit TLT binding

2 pairs 194 Salomon Super Mountain with Salomon Alpine binding (1 pair with demo bindings that I often let friends use because they adjust to any boot).

The Shuksans are my current overall favorite in terms of performance / weight ratio.  The Atomics really rip (I usually like a soft ski though, these respond best when you really power them up) but are a bit heavier.  I have toured with them although I tend to use them maily on lifts.  They work well for mid-winter variable conditions when you need a ski that blasts through the junk, and being fat they also float the pow very well.  The Dynafit skis were what I replaced my original boards (the fischers) with, and I think they are good skis but since I got the Shuksans I haven't skied them.  They are rather light though (<6lbs) so I do plan to keep using them when appropriate.  The Salomon Super Mountain is really a great ski that is lots of fun to ride.  One year after breaking my last pair of straight skis early in the season I was lucky to have a buddy that worked in the rental shop at Alpental.  I had more free time then but less money.  So, just about every morning, I would cruise into the rental shop where my buddy would let me take out whatever ski I wanted.  Soon the other guys in the shop knew me and they would let me have skis too even when my friend wasn't working, so it was a pretty favorable arrangement.  Of the skis I tried, the Super Mountains were just perfect for Alpental, so I bought a pair before the next season.  Eventually I found a good deal on another pair with demo bindings (I was making better money by this point and I don't have any kids, dogs, or really any other expensive hobby).

So that's the story of my excessive ski collection.  In my defense there have been a lot of times while living at Apental that I have been able to hook up friends & family with rad skis to ride.  I do believe that good boards (read: basically anything high-end made in the last 4-5 years or so) can realy improve the experience for most skiers, especially the ones that only ski a couple times of year and don't always get the chance to have perfect technique.

Paul snatched up the last Shuksan (not a scratch for $100)  

It sounds like your quiver is a bit more extensive than mine.  

I have the Fischer Freerides (195 cm) with G3 bindings, an old pair of Montets (203 cm) and a broken pair of Piste Stinx (197 cm) both with Voile three pin cable bindings.  The Work Stinx (190 cm and $100 without a scratch)  will get a new pair of hammerheads while the Totally Piste (190 cm and also $100 without a scatch) is a bit smaller than I'm used to but should be great for ripping hairpin turns on piste hardpack.  I was going to put the Voile three pins on them, unless I have a change  of heart and put the Hammerheads on them.  Not too sure on this.  The Totally Piste would be great on the Muir field (or Stash) during the dog days of summer.

I spend my winters at Steven's, though Alpental is a nice place to visit.  Might have to plan a trip up.  Let the snow fly this winter!!!!

Nice quiver, alpentalcorey.  There's prolly some AK LawnChairs left; 150 bones, them'd be good for big dump freshies days.

Todd and Paul, good score.  Looks to me like you owe Robie a beer or something  ;)

A good score it was! Thanks for the tip and what beer would you guys prefer? The 185 Shuksans were a steal for a cool 'c' note,they seem to have the same footprint as the 2001World Piste although not as soft a flex, and I grabbed a $50 pair of Piste Stinx for my neighbor up the street, former alpine skier, who now wants to try Telly skiing. Walking out of any place with 2 pair in shrink rap for $150 ain't bad. Talking with the k2 dude at the store he said that they would be opening a retail outlet there sometime around the holidays! And as May West says " My right leg is Thanksgiving and my left leg is Christmas. So why don't ya come up and see me between the holidays" Can I say that on TAY? ;)  ;D

Last I heard Robie's preference for libations was ice cold Weinhart's Pale Ale.
I'll defer to Charles on the holiday question.  Oh, wait... Charles might be on vacation.  Guess you can say anything you want (within reason, of course) until he gets back.  ;)

I'm back from vacation and glad to see that the discussions have remained of high quality, despite my absence!

I have made Ron a moderator (in addition to myself) for all of the active boards, and he was (I'm sure) keeping a close eye on all of the posts. If the holiday quote passed Ron's discerning judgment about appropriateness, then it certainly passes mine!

Shall we set a meeting at the Pacific Inn for a pitcher or two?  Well worth that headsup score on skiis.  

That Mae West quote was over the top for my discerning ears.  I'm feeling a little 'uncomfortable' and am thinking on filing a complaint. ;)  (or maybe some good spam in Paul's mail box) 8)

All those suggestions work for me.
Where's the Pacific Inn?  In Pacific?  ;D

It's on the corner of Stone Way and 35th in Wallingford.  Good beers and exellent fish and chips.   Friday would be fine with me.  Must contact Paul first.  

We gotta clear it with the Robman, too.  He's the one that made it all possible...  He'll be checking in soon...

Right on!!!  I left a message for Paul.  

Soooooo, what about me, am I chopped liver?  ;D  If I wasn't off riding my bike over three mountain passes this past weekend, I would have been down there elbowing my way to the front of the pay line to.  ;)

Ok, maddog, we don't want any trouble, ok?
You're included.  
And if you want the skis I bought you can have those too, ok?

Paul is away from thursday to Sunday for a little jaunt into the mountains with his significant other so it might have to be next week.  He also thought that there are plenty of better pubs to go (Pacific Inn is a little rundown).  Elysian apparently opened up a new place where the old Honeybear was in Wallingford.  Sounds good to me since it's a very nice building and Elysian makes fine beers.  

More the merrier I always say.  (The first pitcher's on me and Paul--from there you're on your own.)

Beer sounds good! Could work for me. Pacific inn been there! I use to be a Seattle regular. Picnic at Gas works ?Also know the ol honey bear spot. If we hold it off a week maybe Missus would come.

Ok went by K-2 outlet again today  more skis 4 pr of 190 workstinks ,2pr 165 lunchers,seeminly endless supply of piste stinks and one more pr.185cm shuksans@$125.I fondled the Shuksans for a long time but gently put them back.(maybe Ive kicked the habit ?)
Also now selling k2 mountain bikes Attack 4s and funky monkey. not as heavyily discounted as skis.
The plan is for them to stay open through next saturday.
 Now where can I find some good prices on wide skins ?

Hmmm.  If this social function of which you're all speaking were to take place on a Friday evening somewhere convenient to Seattle, I'd bestir myself to put in an appearance.....although unlike Mad Dog I am, in practical terms, largely chopped liver.  I might even draw down my student loans sufficiently to buy a pitcher.  

With my only computer access at work I'm a little late gettin in on this although Todd has kept me informed. Charles I'm glad that the Mae West 'Quote' fit in with TAY'S editoral board policies.I figured if it was good enough for Mae it hadda be good enough for the rest of us!:D I'll suggest next Thursday or Friday, 21st-22nd, nights as possible dates for the TAY meeting, and add on the Maritime Pacific Brewery in Ballard as another spot. And Mad Dog remember there's nothing wrong with chopped liver! Mark no need to draw down your student loans I'm sure the group would shout you a beer or two or three.
Paul

Hey cool!!  
Todd already said "the more the merrier".
Looks like we got a TAY "skifest without the skis" coming together.

So it seems that now all comers should be meeting someplace to bask in the camaraderie of fellow gliss descenders, generally yuk it up, feverishly debate and plan September turn possibilities and cry in our beer that there aren't more.

If Mark can up his student loan by the price of a pitcher I can certainly increase the national debt a like amount by putting a pitcher to plastic.

So it sounds like Friday's out for Paul.  That moves it into next week.  My vote is for Paul's first next choice; Thursday (8/21).
You Seattlites (and former Seattlites) seem to have a handle on the locations.  Seattle is better than the south end 'cause it makes for an easier trip for Mark from Bellingham.  If I were allowed a vote as to location I'd just pick a place like the Milton tavern, which has unending source of micros and is a no smoking atmosphere.

I guess that's about all I've got to say on the matter... for now.

Oh, No, Wait! One more thing: a special thanks to Mark for teaching me a new word: "bestir".  Cool word.  It means (as one might expect) "to exert one's self; to stir to action".  Someone that comes up with cool words like that is certainly NOT chopped liver.  It's real easy to look up, too, especially for folks like Paul; it's right there in the dictionary next to "bestiality"  ;D

bigtime brewpub in the University District has a good selection, but perhaps too busy for a large group to descend upon it.  Likewise, a mile from there is Chez Wild, bring your own refreshments?  I can provide a gas grill.  Let's move this discussion to a topic name more relevant?

Quote: it's right there in the dictionary next to "bestiality" unquote.  Yep, that's how I found it, too.  

I'm already in Seattle on Fridays and am free after 7:30 or so, making it easy for me to meet anywhere in the immediate area.  The exception will be the 22nd, when I'll be in New York wearing rented clothing at a friend's wedding.  Whenever and wherever you folks decide, I'll do my best to show up.  It the chosen venue is particularly classy, I'll just sneak in the service entrance.  

OK I'm pretty new to TAY but I think I've figured out something important:

When the number of posts on a seemingly ordinary trip report starts climbing very high, it means one of two things:
a) You are all talking about GEAR, and where to score some
b) you are all talking about BEER, and where to score some

In this case, the thread has somehow managed to sprawl into BOTH domains. Plus, as a sidebar, etymology of 'bestir', Mae West's holidays, and why alpentalcorey has so many skis.

Wow!

Now the reason I care about all this is that by discovering this thread late, I nearly missed out on the GEAR. I took a two hour lunch today and sailed down to the outlet hoping there was still something to be found. And hoorah I think I got the truly last pair of the Shuksans.

Still available, in order of probable interest to our audience:
2 pr AK Launchers 165cm $150 (I would have bought these too except just a bit short for me, even for these fatties)
Work Stinx, looked long, don't remember price
Many many pairs of Piste Stinx from 00/01 and 01/02 all possible lengths. The older ones are only 50$
I think I also saw some World Piste, and it's possible they had basically all of the Piste and Stinx from 02 except for She's Piste.
Many many Ride snowboards for around 125$.
K2 bikes, not earthshaking prices but still pretty good.
They said they'd be open til Saturday at least.

Betcha half this crew sports at least one new pair of K2 boards for next years go round  ;)

That long drive made me thirsty. Now I need to get me some BEER.

SCORE!!!  8) and the quiver grows.  I to sailed down to the outlet, but unlike "wolfs" I'm only 5 minutes away.  So now there is only 1 pair of AK Launchers left.  Strange phenomenon though, I got very thirsty on the way home too ;D

Now I need to accessorize.  That in itself should make a person parched.

I, for one, am also parched from a long days work.  Looks like the party grows in leaps and bounds.  Shall we name it the 'K2 quiver' party?   Sounds like either next Thursday or Friday?   The local is a question but that can be ironed out with time.  

Makes me want to head down again for another go at some deals.   Let me ponder it for a while.

Y'know, Bestiality Bestirred would be an excellent name for a rock and roll band, particularly one which featured bad costumes, lots of stage makeup, unintelligible lyrics and blistering guitar solos.  In the balance, I think this would appeal mostly to adolescent boys.

That new band's probably already there waiting to be discovered embedded in that housing you run, huh, Mark?
You could be the Manager!!
Glad to see maddog and wolfs make some great quiver scores.  And wolfs, your post was a hoot... very entertaining.
So are we on for Thursday the 21st?

I see that Mad Dog has already addressed Silas' suggestion about the thread title. As far as moving the discussion somewhere else, to me this thread seems to be the right place for it. People already involved know where to find it, and it seems a semi-natural progression from the original TR, given that there tends to be a lot more talking about skiing and related topics than actual skiing this time of year. My main goal for the TR boards is to make sure that each TR thread starts with an actual TR (though I know there have been a few exceptions).

Once the date and location have been set, however, it might be good to post an announcement in "Random Tracks", appropriately titled, so that more people could find out about the gathering. This is assuming that everyone is invited (from active posters to lurkers), which seems appropriate to me.

My vote goes to Friday, because then I will have a possibility of making it - Thursday won't be possible at all.

Either Thursday or Friday will work for me! Charles good idea posting the thread in Random Tracks so whoever wants to can make it. It'll be nice to put names and faces together.

Paul

Gazooks!!
If Charles will join us, I'd switch to Friday no matter what it costs me!!  :)

Do I smell brew?  8) ,  I'm in.

Ok I'll start lobbying here for Friday the 22nd.my calendar is open,  no wait a minute it now has" beers "penciled in.

just when I was getting pumped about meeting you all I checked my calender for next Friday.  I've got a wedding to go to.   It's at five at the Arboretum so if the 'K2 quiver' meeting is around nine that night I should be able to make it.  We'll see.

Hey, Todd, if we convene at, say 7:00 (7:30 for Mark) it's unlikely we be outta there before 9:00.  The big question is where is "there"?
You Seattlites might think on that so Charles can post the "1st Annual TAY Quiver Meeting" notice.  Looks like we might be gathering a bit of a crowd.
Oh, and Todd, don't be shy about bringing your new wife... should be a good way to break her in, taking here to a high class meeting with you ski buddies.  
Unless, of course, you'd rather get here "broke in" right away by announcing to her that you're going out for a few beers with the guys on your wedding night  ;D  Cool or what?
Don't forget the matchstick in your mouth when you're saying your vows... looks real cool in the wedding pics.

Ron, Ron, Ron.   It's not my wedding, of course.  It's a good friend's, though, and the reception should be fun.  I'll try to bow out around midway.    

I'm going to scout out the new Elysian pub at the old Honeybear building this weekend and get back to you.  Monday we'll figure things out.  

You're a trooper, Todd.
Way to "take one for the team", visiting all those brewpubs all weekend for us.  It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it.  

Maybe we should do a pub crawl.  ;D You pay one price for the "crawl" from participating pubs, and then go from pub to pub, get a shirt, every pub you go to signs the shirt (it's kinda like getting your ticket punched) and then off you go, or crawl to the next pub.  Oh wait I think this is what you do in Fiji, sorry.  But then again we could start our own 1st annual TAY Quiver Crawl.  Boy we have a lot of firsts', 1st Annual Crystal Mtn closing fest, 2nd annual Sourdough chute fest, 1st annual slush cup, and now the 1st annual TAY Quiver Crawl.  Try saying that one fast  8)

Thanks, Ron, but the 22nd is the only Friday I won't be around.  I'm scheduled to be propping up a glassy-eyed friend at his wedding in New York.  So I suggest that meeting arrangements be made without allowance for my schedule...this time around, at least.  I'll try to work bestiality and bestir-itude into the best man's toast in some way.  

Mark

Would I be wrong [under most circumstances I am, however this could be an exception] if I said it seems as though Friday at 7:00 looks like a good time for all those who can make it? And when Todd gives his report on the new Pub, then that decision can then be reached. This is alot of work I need a beer, immediatly if not sooner!  8) Took a nice little jaunt into Summerland last friday and right under Goat ridge there were a small herd of Goats, eight adults and four kids, happily taking in the afternoon on the snow. Now talk about your bestir and bestiality......... ;)

Paul

Unfortunately no report as of yet.  I say let's pick a place that is a known factor.  Paul mentioned the Maritime Brewery Pub in Ballard.  I could be into that.  Just got my brand spanking new Hammerheads for my (very cheap) brand new K2 Workstinx.  Put the two togethor and we will be making beautiful music togethor ;D (Just need some snow)  >:(  Maritime's pub is on Leary and it has good accomidations for a group and respectible food.  My vote is there.  Anybody else?

Although I hope to be able to join in, I won't know until Friday if I actually can, so I won't put in a vote for destination. Depending on when the decision is reached, I may not be able to post a timely announcement in Random Tracks, so maybe Todd or Paul could do that? Just give it an appropriate title so everyone will have a chance to see it in time.

No problem and hope to see you.

The Maritime sounds ok to me.
Is this the one you're talking about?
http://www.maritimebrewery.citysearch.com/
If so, it looks like the taproom is called the Jolly Roger and is located at:
http://www.maritimebrewery.citysearch.com/2.html
So 7:00 PM Friday at the Maritime (Jolly Roger Taproom) works for me... I'm in.
Todd, you're bringing the new wife, right?

Edited to replace super wide map link...

that is the place, Ron. :),

Look to Random tracks.  There is an invite waiting for you all. ;D

Ok, Its not Old Seattle but looks damn good. Now all I gotta do is show Laurie the menu. Fried pickles?
Hey does anybody remember Admiral Benbows in West Seattle. Talk about old kitcshe. Maritime's "Jolly Roger" room reminded me of it.

She'll love the fried pickles... and she'll get meet Todd's new wife!!  ;D

Sure, I'll bring her along.  Just got to remember to blow her up first.

Reply to this TR

august-3-2003-mrnp-pg-bestir-to-bestiality
JMor
2003-08-04 03:21:50