telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
12/18/17, 12:40 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2003 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  July-August 2003 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  August 3, 2003, MRNP PG (bestir to bestiality)
:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: August 3, 2003, MRNP PG (bestir to bestiality)  (Read 44656 times)
Paul_S
5Member

Re: August 3, 2003, MRNP Paradise Glacier (Harvest
« Reply #25 on: 08/11/03, 04:21 AM »

A good score it was! Thanks for the tip and what beer would you guys prefer? The 185 Shuksans were a steal for a cool 'c' note,they seem to have the same footprint as the 2001World Piste although not as soft a flex, and I grabbed a $50 pair of Piste Stinx for my neighbor up the street, former alpine skier, who now wants to try Telly skiing. Walking out of any place with 2 pair in shrink rap for $150 ain't bad. Talking with the k2 dude at the store he said that they would be opening a retail outlet there sometime around the holidays! And as May West says " My right leg is Thanksgiving and my left leg is Christmas. So why don't ya come up and see me between the holidays" Can I say that on TAY? Wink  Grin
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #26 on: 08/11/03, 04:40 AM »

Last I heard Robie's preference for libations was ice cold Weinhart's Pale Ale.
I'll defer to Charles on the holiday question.  Oh, wait... Charles might be on vacation.  Guess you can say anything you want (within reason, of course) until he gets back.  Wink

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Charles

« Reply #27 on: 08/12/03, 12:27 PM »

I'm back from vacation and glad to see that the discussions have remained of high quality, despite my absence!

I have made Ron a moderator (in addition to myself) for all of the active boards, and he was (I'm sure) keeping a close eye on all of the posts. If the holiday quote passed Ron's discerning judgment about appropriateness, then it certainly passes mine!

votodd
5Member

« Reply #28 on: 08/12/03, 12:36 PM »

Shall we set a meeting at the Pacific Inn for a pitcher or two?  Well worth that headsup score on skiis.  

That Mae West quote was over the top for my discerning ears.  I'm feeling a little 'uncomfortable' and am thinking on filing a complaint. Wink  (or maybe some good spam in Paul's mail box) Cool
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #29 on: 08/12/03, 01:43 PM »

All those suggestions work for me.
Where's the Pacific Inn?  In Pacific?  Grin

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
votodd
5Member

« Reply #30 on: 08/12/03, 01:54 PM »

It's on the corner of Stone Way and 35th in Wallingford.  Good beers and exellent fish and chips.   Friday would be fine with me.  Must contact Paul first.  
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #31 on: 08/12/03, 01:58 PM »

We gotta clear it with the Robman, too.  He's the one that made it all possible...  He'll be checking in soon...

votodd
5Member

« Reply #32 on: 08/12/03, 02:00 PM »

Right on!!!  I left a message for Paul.  
Mad_Dog

« Reply #33 on: 08/12/03, 02:46 PM »

Soooooo, what about me, am I chopped liver?  Grin  If I wasn't off riding my bike over three mountain passes this past weekend, I would have been down there elbowing my way to the front of the pay line to.  Wink

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #34 on: 08/12/03, 02:50 PM »

Ok, maddog, we don't want any trouble, ok?
You're included.  
And if you want the skis I bought you can have those too, ok?

votodd
5Member

« Reply #35 on: 08/12/03, 03:03 PM »

Paul is away from thursday to Sunday for a little jaunt into the mountains with his significant other so it might have to be next week.  He also thought that there are plenty of better pubs to go (Pacific Inn is a little rundown).  Elysian apparently opened up a new place where the old Honeybear was in Wallingford.  Sounds good to me since it's a very nice building and Elysian makes fine beers.  

More the merrier I always say.  (The first pitcher's on me and Paul--from there you're on your own.)
Robie

« Reply #36 on: 08/12/03, 03:39 PM »

Beer sounds good! Could work for me. Pacific inn been there! I use to be a Seattle regular. Picnic at Gas works ?Also know the ol honey bear spot. If we hold it off a week maybe Missus would come.

Ok went by K-2 outlet again today  more skis 4 pr of 190 workstinks ,2pr 165 lunchers,seeminly endless supply of piste stinks and one more pr.185cm shuksans@$125.I fondled the Shuksans for a long time but gently put them back.(maybe Ive kicked the habit ?)
Also now selling k2 mountain bikes Attack 4s and funky monkey. not as heavyily discounted as skis.
The plan is for them to stay open through next saturday.
 Now where can I find some good prices on wide skins ?

"I bought my rope at Walmart ,my gloves at costco but paid dearly for my dynafits"
Apparant Moderator of what sucks
markharf

« Reply #37 on: 08/12/03, 06:24 PM »

Hmmm.  If this social function of which you're all speaking were to take place on a Friday evening somewhere convenient to Seattle, I'd bestir myself to put in an appearance.....although unlike Mad Dog I am, in practical terms, largely chopped liver.  I might even draw down my student loans sufficiently to buy a pitcher.  
Paul_S
5Member

« Reply #38 on: 08/13/03, 02:02 AM »

With my only computer access at work I'm a little late gettin in on this although Todd has kept me informed. Charles I'm glad that the Mae West 'Quote' fit in with TAY'S editoral board policies.I figured if it was good enough for Mae it hadda be good enough for the rest of us!:D I'll suggest next Thursday or Friday, 21st-22nd, nights as possible dates for the TAY meeting, and add on the Maritime Pacific Brewery in Ballard as another spot. And Mad Dog remember there's nothing wrong with chopped liver! Mark no need to draw down your student loans I'm sure the group would shout you a beer or two or three.
Paul
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #39 on: 08/13/03, 03:09 AM »

Hey cool!!  
Todd already said "the more the merrier".
Looks like we got a TAY "skifest without the skis" coming together.

So it seems that now all comers should be meeting someplace to bask in the camaraderie of fellow gliss descenders, generally yuk it up, feverishly debate and plan September turn possibilities and cry in our beer that there aren't more.

If Mark can up his student loan by the price of a pitcher I can certainly increase the national debt a like amount by putting a pitcher to plastic.

So it sounds like Friday's out for Paul.  That moves it into next week.  My vote is for Paul's first next choice; Thursday (8/21).
You Seattlites (and former Seattlites) seem to have a handle on the locations.  Seattle is better than the south end 'cause it makes for an easier trip for Mark from Bellingham.  If I were allowed a vote as to location I'd just pick a place like the Milton tavern, which has unending source of micros and is a no smoking atmosphere.

I guess that's about all I've got to say on the matter... for now.

Oh, No, Wait! One more thing: a special thanks to Mark for teaching me a new word: "bestir".  Cool word.  It means (as one might expect) "to exert one's self; to stir to action".  Someone that comes up with cool words like that is certainly NOT chopped liver.  It's real easy to look up, too, especially for folks like Paul; it's right there in the dictionary next to "bestiality"  Grin

silaswild

« Reply #40 on: 08/13/03, 04:03 AM »

bigtime brewpub in the University District has a good selection, but perhaps too busy for a large group to descend upon it.  Likewise, a mile from there is Chez Wild, bring your own refreshments?  I can provide a gas grill.  Let's move this discussion to a topic name more relevant?
markharf

« Reply #41 on: 08/13/03, 05:12 AM »

Quote: it's right there in the dictionary next to "bestiality" unquote.  Yep, that's how I found it, too.  

I'm already in Seattle on Fridays and am free after 7:30 or so, making it easy for me to meet anywhere in the immediate area.  The exception will be the 22nd, when I'll be in New York wearing rented clothing at a friend's wedding.  Whenever and wherever you folks decide, I'll do my best to show up.  It the chosen venue is particularly classy, I'll just sneak in the service entrance.  
wolfs

« Reply #42 on: 08/13/03, 08:55 AM »

OK I'm pretty new to TAY but I think I've figured out something important:

When the number of posts on a seemingly ordinary trip report starts climbing very high, it means one of two things:
a) You are all talking about GEAR, and where to score some
b) you are all talking about BEER, and where to score some

In this case, the thread has somehow managed to sprawl into BOTH domains. Plus, as a sidebar, etymology of 'bestir', Mae West's holidays, and why alpentalcorey has so many skis.

Wow!

Now the reason I care about all this is that by discovering this thread late, I nearly missed out on the GEAR. I took a two hour lunch today and sailed down to the outlet hoping there was still something to be found. And hoorah I think I got the truly last pair of the Shuksans.

Still available, in order of probable interest to our audience:
2 pr AK Launchers 165cm $150 (I would have bought these too except just a bit short for me, even for these fatties)
Work Stinx, looked long, don't remember price
Many many pairs of Piste Stinx from 00/01 and 01/02 all possible lengths. The older ones are only 50$
I think I also saw some World Piste, and it's possible they had basically all of the Piste and Stinx from 02 except for She's Piste.
Many many Ride snowboards for around 125$.
K2 bikes, not earthshaking prices but still pretty good.
They said they'd be open til Saturday at least.

Betcha half this crew sports at least one new pair of K2 boards for next years go round  Wink

That long drive made me thirsty. Now I need to get me some BEER.

Mad_Dog

« Reply #43 on: 08/13/03, 09:54 AM »

SCORE!!!  Cool and the quiver grows.  I to sailed down to the outlet, but unlike "wolfs" I'm only 5 minutes away.  So now there is only 1 pair of AK Launchers left.  Strange phenomenon though, I got very thirsty on the way home too Grin

Now I need to accessorize.  That in itself should make a person parched.

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
votodd
5Member

Re: August 3, 2003, MRNP PG (bestir to bestiality)
« Reply #44 on: 08/13/03, 11:19 AM »

I, for one, am also parched from a long days work.  Looks like the party grows in leaps and bounds.  Shall we name it the 'K2 quiver' party?   Sounds like either next Thursday or Friday?   The local is a question but that can be ironed out with time.  

Makes me want to head down again for another go at some deals.   Let me ponder it for a while.
markharf

« Reply #45 on: 08/13/03, 11:31 AM »

Y'know, Bestiality Bestirred would be an excellent name for a rock and roll band, particularly one which featured bad costumes, lots of stage makeup, unintelligible lyrics and blistering guitar solos.  In the balance, I think this would appeal mostly to adolescent boys.
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #46 on: 08/14/03, 04:31 AM »

That new band's probably already there waiting to be discovered embedded in that housing you run, huh, Mark?
You could be the Manager!!
Glad to see maddog and wolfs make some great quiver scores.  And wolfs, your post was a hoot... very entertaining.
So are we on for Thursday the 21st?

Charles

« Reply #47 on: 08/14/03, 09:56 AM »

I see that Mad Dog has already addressed Silas' suggestion about the thread title. As far as moving the discussion somewhere else, to me this thread seems to be the right place for it. People already involved know where to find it, and it seems a semi-natural progression from the original TR, given that there tends to be a lot more talking about skiing and related topics than actual skiing this time of year. My main goal for the TR boards is to make sure that each TR thread starts with an actual TR (though I know there have been a few exceptions).

Once the date and location have been set, however, it might be good to post an announcement in "Random Tracks", appropriately titled, so that more people could find out about the gathering. This is assuming that everyone is invited (from active posters to lurkers), which seems appropriate to me.

My vote goes to Friday, because then I will have a possibility of making it - Thursday won't be possible at all.
Paul_S
5Member

« Reply #48 on: 08/14/03, 11:54 AM »

Either Thursday or Friday will work for me! Charles good idea posting the thread in Random Tracks so whoever wants to can make it. It'll be nice to put names and faces together.

Paul
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #49 on: 08/14/03, 12:51 PM »

Gazooks!!
If Charles will join us, I'd switch to Friday no matter what it costs me!!  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.