telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
10/17/17, 10:42 PM

Snohomish County
Volunteer Search & Rescue Team

Trip Reports Sponsor
Pro Ski Service
Pro Ski Service
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2003 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  July-August 2003 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  August 3, 2003, MRNP PG (bestir to bestiality)
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All | Go Down Print
Author Topic: August 3, 2003, MRNP PG (bestir to bestiality)  (Read 44167 times)
Mad_Dog

August 3, 2003, MRNP PG (bestir to bestiality)
« on: 08/04/03, 04:21 AM »

It's been a fine summer here in the PNW  Cool with wonderful hot weather, only thing, our snow is melting away fast.  Thinking about where to go and what to ski left little to ponder since most of the lower elevation has been blanketed in the prolific beauty of wildflowers.  There were 4 of us that met for our August harvest, Paul, Todd, Ron, and myself for the Paradise Glacier and surrounding fields, hoping to find some of that late season corn.  We arrived at the lower Paradise parking around 8:30ish, loaded skis on packs and headed up the Mazama trail in the beauty of lush greenery and sweet smells of wildflowers, taking a short break at the Stevens-Van Trump memorial.  Amazing how one can be so easily overwhelmed by the beauty that you seem to forget that ski poles are a handy item to have, huh Paul.  Just a short detour back and he was good to go again, no problem.  Guess this now puts you in the same catagory with "Markharf", since I've heard that he looses things too.  We carried our skis to the end of the maintained trail where we were able to start skinning.  The Paradise Glacier moraine is melting out, but still enough coverage that we were able to skin into the large waterfall rock area towards the north end, center, of the moraine before de-skiing.  The Paradise Glacier itself is still in pretty good condition, with some dirty glacier icy patches on climbers left, skiers left, still provides some nice options with minimal sun cupping.  The four of us "stashed" some of our gear at certain locations to lighten our packs for our August "harvest", and harvest we did, with almost 1,000vf of sweet summer, sun ripened corn, for our first run!   Grin  Climbing back to the top just to do it again for another 1,000.  We returned to the car after 5, noticing that the overflow from the Paradise parking was spilling down the lower road more than half the distance.  If not for the skiing, it's a great time to view the flowers.  We did see the resident mountain goat, grazing, perched high amidst the cliffs on the glacier moraine.
Ron will have photos available for viewing shortly.
« Last Edit: 08/13/03, 10:22 AM by Mad_Dog » Logged

There is nothing worse than refusing to learn: this is where old age begins.

Jeanette
ron j
TAY Moderator

Re: August 3, 2003, MRNP Paradise Glacier (Harvest
« Reply #1 on: 08/04/03, 07:19 AM »

Turned out to be a pretty good ski day for August on a low snow year.
Here's a shot of Todd rippin' it up:

More pics (3 pages of 'em!) are at:
http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/paradise8303.msnw

"When I stop having fun I'm turnin' around"
"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
GregLange

« Reply #2 on: 08/04/03, 07:34 AM »

Ron: You and your group are uncanny at picking a spot, and then riding it out until you find the next great spot!

Nice photos. I'm in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, checking up on my (enviable) soulmates laying down the cool lines. Thanks, again, for such great photographic documentation; it;s the next best thing to being there.

Greg Lange
markharf

« Reply #3 on: 08/04/03, 07:54 AM »

You certainly are getting a lot of use out of The Place Where All The Snow Goes For The Summer.  Apparently, you've even mastered the art of flattening suncups by repeated spooning of tracks; thus, the skiing looks better and smoother each time you go.  Too bad I'm so forgetful I can't even remember how to get there, or I'd join you once or twice.

ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #4 on: 08/05/03, 12:39 AM »

Greg - Thanks for the kind words.  Anything to help out a fellow bc skier -- especially one stranded in Milwaukee!!

Mark - I know how you feel, mate.  Those semi-senility years just keep getting closer.  Maybe if you can just remember how to get to Paradise I might figure out how to get my walker close to some skiable snow??.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." - Niels Bohr
"If a given person makes it a priority not to die in an avalanche, he or she stands a very good chance of living a long, happy life in the mountains." - Jill Fredston
Paul_S
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 08/05/03, 11:41 AM »

Well, Mad Dog, I'll have to ask for the $ 20 back that I thought was a good bribe, so much for honesty amongst skiers!;D Indeed the flowers were at thier peak with some very bright yellow monkey flowers just past the waterfall. An excellent corn harvest it was and taken in with good company.We'll have to do again real soon, skiing the ah,...well I'll be darned if I can't remember, has anyone seen my ski poles?. Todd says he has some more pictures that he'll post soon.
Later  

Paul
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #6 on: 08/07/03, 02:49 AM »

Um.. Ah.. I didn't actually see any $ change hands there, Paul.  If it actually did, it obviously means you should have paid it to ME!
Cool

Paul_S
5Member

« Reply #7 on: 08/07/03, 08:58 AM »

Well Ron, you know what they say 'The check is in the mail':DAnd thanks for the cold cans of Bud they were mighty tasty!!

Paul
votodd
5Member

« Reply #8 on: 08/08/03, 01:24 AM »

Has anybody seen Paul's poles?  Where can those confounded poles be? Huh

They might be next to Ron's 'Minty planks of love'. Grin

http://community.webshots.com/album/84589800SktFOD
votodd
5Member

« Reply #9 on: 08/08/03, 01:28 AM »

http://community.webshots.com/photo/84589800/84590473CjonzW

With much thought involved, I finally was able to catch Paul's best side.    Wink
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #10 on: 08/08/03, 01:44 AM »

Nice pics, Todd.
And I see you got it film, photographic proof that Geezer Paul walked off without his poles!! Grin
http://community.webshots.com/photo/84589800/84591727fHUnHF

votodd
5Member

« Reply #11 on: 08/08/03, 11:43 AM »

LOL!!!!  Good eyes.  And your reply. Paul?

Ron, thanks for the beers.  They hit the spot.   I have scars on my ankles from that day.   That's a first.  
alpentalcorey

« Reply #12 on: 08/08/03, 04:33 PM »

Ok, I've got to ask.  Who's skiing the fischer expedition hitrax skis?  I only ask because those were my first backcountry skis and they hold a special place in my heart.  Of course, I love my current skis so much (K2 Shuksans) that it would be hard to go back.

That gets me thinking.  Folks that know me would probably agree that I have a potentially excessive ski collection.  I just can't resist, when I see a beautiful pair with nice curves I get smitten.  That, combined with some years of more forced overtime than I want has led me to 3 randonee and 2 downhill rigs, along with a couple "old girlfriends" that still take my calls once in a while.  This is not counting those black & yellow fischers.

So, is there anyone out there (or does anyone know someone) who might want a free pair of fischer hitrax expedition skis?  They are 193's and I believe the stats are something like 107-70-97.  They are pretty lightweight, and although certainly used, they probably have some life left.  They have drill holes from dynafit bindings.  The ideal candidate would like skiing a lot more than working (I suppose that goes for all of us actually), perhaps a ubiquitous member of the "leisure class" that exists in the lower realms of the economic strata.  A poor college student or someone getting started in backcountry skiing would also be the kind of person I am looking for.
Paul Belitz

« Reply #13 on: 08/08/03, 05:34 PM »

Hey Corey, you can always donate them to a club, I know the UW Climbing Club has a few skis for members to borrow.

And BTW, I'm curious, what are your AT rigs? Those Shuksans sure looked nice...

Paul
votodd
5Member

« Reply #14 on: 08/08/03, 05:47 PM »

they are mine.  they're the updated model, called Alltrax Freeride.  They're marketed as tele boards but the only time I've seen them on the slopes are with fixed heals so they make good alpine boards.  They're named proper because I can take them anywhere and in any condition, though powder is the best.   They certainly can take the punishment I give them.  
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #15 on: 08/09/03, 01:50 AM »

Speaking of Shuskins, you guys, the power-ski-shopper Robie called me last night to let me know that the K2 outlet in Fife is going to be open today and that there's some Shuskins, some AK Launchers and a whole gaggle of Piste Stinx for prices ranging for something like $100 to $150... even as low as $25 for some of the drilled and used Piste Stinx's.
Better get down there if you are looking for a deal on any of these.  When Martin hears about it he's liable to head down there and clean them out; at least of the Shuskins.  I would if I were him.

votodd
5Member

« Reply #16 on: 08/09/03, 05:53 AM »

thanks for the heads up, Ron.  Any idea where in Fife the K2 outlet is?
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #17 on: 08/09/03, 06:22 AM »

It's right there on 20th street in fife in the same complex as the big Sportco store (around the corner).  
The K2 outlet only opens sporatically, presumably when they build up an excess of extra gear.
I just came back from there.  There was several sets of AK Launchers (2@165 + others), 1 set of Work Stinx @ 190, 1 set of Shuskins (185's?) all at $150 as I recall, + a bunch of others @ $100 (totally's, supers, and such).
All the older stuff (mostly kids and non-shaped) was like around $20.

(edited to remove map link which seemed to make thread excessively wide)
« Last Edit: 08/10/03, 01:34 PM by ron_j » Logged

votodd
5Member

« Reply #18 on: 08/09/03, 06:29 AM »

Thanks, Ron.  Sounds like I might be making a purchase this afternoon.  
votodd
5Member

« Reply #19 on: 08/09/03, 12:54 PM »

mission successfull!!!!  I pick up a new pair of Work Stinx and a pair of totally Piste, all for the grand sum of $200.   Paul picked up a pair of Piste Stinx for his neighbor and a pair of Shuksans for himself.  All for about $150.  thanks again for the headsup.
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #20 on: 08/09/03, 01:36 PM »

cool.
Rock on.
Cool

Robie

« Reply #21 on: 08/10/03, 04:14 AM »

I'm glad those skis went to friendlies ! The only problem with owning a lot of skis is that you gotta have a lot bindings and skins. I don't dare bring anymore home cause Mrs Robie (Laurie )is getting hip to all my hiding spots!Thanks to Ron for passing it on cause I got busy.

"I bought my rope at Walmart ,my gloves at costco but paid dearly for my dynafits"
Apparant Moderator of what sucks
alpentalcorey

« Reply #22 on: 08/10/03, 07:13 AM »

Man, those look like good deals!  BTW are there any Shuksans left?  

These are my setups:

185 K2 Shuksans with Tri-steps
184 Atomic 10.ex with Fritchis
190 Dynafit AT carve lite with Dynafit TLT binding

2 pairs 194 Salomon Super Mountain with Salomon Alpine binding (1 pair with demo bindings that I often let friends use because they adjust to any boot).

The Shuksans are my current overall favorite in terms of performance / weight ratio.  The Atomics really rip (I usually like a soft ski though, these respond best when you really power them up) but are a bit heavier.  I have toured with them although I tend to use them maily on lifts.  They work well for mid-winter variable conditions when you need a ski that blasts through the junk, and being fat they also float the pow very well.  The Dynafit skis were what I replaced my original boards (the fischers) with, and I think they are good skis but since I got the Shuksans I haven't skied them.  They are rather light though (<6lbs) so I do plan to keep using them when appropriate.  The Salomon Super Mountain is really a great ski that is lots of fun to ride.  One year after breaking my last pair of straight skis early in the season I was lucky to have a buddy that worked in the rental shop at Alpental.  I had more free time then but less money.  So, just about every morning, I would cruise into the rental shop where my buddy would let me take out whatever ski I wanted.  Soon the other guys in the shop knew me and they would let me have skis too even when my friend wasn't working, so it was a pretty favorable arrangement.  Of the skis I tried, the Super Mountains were just perfect for Alpental, so I bought a pair before the next season.  Eventually I found a good deal on another pair with demo bindings (I was making better money by this point and I don't have any kids, dogs, or really any other expensive hobby).

So that's the story of my excessive ski collection.  In my defense there have been a lot of times while living at Apental that I have been able to hook up friends & family with rad skis to ride.  I do believe that good boards (read: basically anything high-end made in the last 4-5 years or so) can realy improve the experience for most skiers, especially the ones that only ski a couple times of year and don't always get the chance to have perfect technique.
votodd
5Member

« Reply #23 on: 08/10/03, 07:30 AM »

Paul snatched up the last Shuksan (not a scratch for $100)  

It sounds like your quiver is a bit more extensive than mine.  

I have the Fischer Freerides (195 cm) with G3 bindings, an old pair of Montets (203 cm) and a broken pair of Piste Stinx (197 cm) both with Voile three pin cable bindings.  The Work Stinx (190 cm and $100 without a scratch)  will get a new pair of hammerheads while the Totally Piste (190 cm and also $100 without a scatch) is a bit smaller than I'm used to but should be great for ripping hairpin turns on piste hardpack.  I was going to put the Voile three pins on them, unless I have a change  of heart and put the Hammerheads on them.  Not too sure on this.  The Totally Piste would be great on the Muir field (or Stash) during the dog days of summer.

I spend my winters at Steven's, though Alpental is a nice place to visit.  Might have to plan a trip up.  Let the snow fly this winter!!!!
ron j
TAY Moderator

« Reply #24 on: 08/11/03, 01:43 AM »

Nice quiver, alpentalcorey.  There's prolly some AK LawnChairs left; 150 bones, them'd be good for big dump freshies days.

Todd and Paul, good score.  Looks to me like you owe Robie a beer or something  Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3  All | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.