Home > Trip Reports > Feb 15 - 18, 2008, Kootenays, BC, Ymir Yurt

Feb 15 - 18, 2008, Kootenays, BC, Ymir Yurt

2/15/08
Canada BC
Posted by Nate R on 2/25/08 3:46am
A group of 5 of us went up to Ymir, BC and were snowmobiled in to Qua Yurt, part of the Ymir Yurt "chain" for a four-day weekend over Presidents Day.  This was at the tail end of the heavy storms that hammered the NW a couple weeks ago, and we were concerned about stability, but a few days before we left the snowfall tapered off and reports were that snow was stabilizing.  We went in on Friday and skied a half day.  It was cloudy and a couple inches of snow fell, then Saturday the weather cleared and we had beautiful blue bird part of Saturday and all day Sunday until Monday morning when we skied/mobiled out.  The terrain there is interesting -- it reminded us of Stevens Pass in that there are lots of inconspicuous triangular shaped peaks scattered about, poking out above treeline.  Qua yurt is at 2,000 meters, so we're starting pretty high, which means a lot of really interesting terrain is easily accessible.  With avy conditions still being considerable, we played it safe and stayed on the lower stuff right around treeline.  We were 25 km from the trailhead, so despite limiting ourselves, we had the place all to ourselves and getting fresh snow every turn was not even remotely a problem. 

Much more detailed trip report and the customary, attending video and a whole mess o' photos here: 
Todd and Andy

Panorama of the yurt at sunset

Kirsten

Becky

Todd awash in snow

Andy

Sunset at the saddle above the yurt
Nice vid -- you're getting better at those every time.

I spent the last three days looking at Ymir Peak from the other side. We were at the Coldsmoke Powderfest at Whitewater.

Yo Bob, how about a report on Coldsmoke?  Would it be under BC, Lifts, or Random?

author=telemack link=topic=9299.msg37522#msg37522 date=1204074171]
Yo Bob, how about a report on Coldsmoke?  Would it be under BC, Lifts, or Random?

I guess that parts of the story could go into each of those categories, but Lift-assisted would probably be the most appropriate. This will have to do for now.
http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=43648

Nice, Telemon.  Looks like a fun trip. 

Thanks for letting us hijack your thread!
I enjoyed the video and your menu items were (a bit) better than ours at Sherman Pass.

Thanks, and no problem!  I've hijacked a couple threads myself.  Yeah, we didn't skimp on the food that's for sure.  I think I got hungry once.  I'm curious if you noticed any slide activity around Whitewater?  We saw mention on the Canadian Avy website of a large slab that stepped down to a couple meters deep just outside the ski area a couple weeks ago.  The thought of that was haunting me a bit the whole time we were there.

While it is not visible on my photo, a huge "snowball" had rolled down from Ymir's ridge line to the ski tracks below. I didn't see any other obvious avi action around the resort.

Reply to this TR

feb-15-18-2008-kootenays-bc-ymir-yurt
Nate R
2008-02-25 11:46:26

© 2001-2021 TAY and our awesome community members