Home > Trip Reports > February 24, 2008, Mt Shuksan, White Salmon Gl.

February 24, 2008, Mt Shuksan, White Salmon Gl.

2/24/08
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 2/24/08 1:43pm
Mr. Soprano and company advised good conditions above bottom cirque on Whitehorse and this was our original objective, but a 9:30 pm weather check called for travelling further North, so we did.  Monika and I got a decently early start just shy of 6 am from the White Salmon lodge.  Headed straight down to the valley floor at the end of the road beneath Chair 8.  Snow was hard frozen and a fall would not be pleasant.  But with no style points awarded we were soon at the valley floor and started skinning up.  Soft and wind packed powder from the bottom of the route to the top of hells highway.  Booted up winnies slide as the facets made skinning more work than fun.  Top half of summit pyramid not in very good ski shape so we left the skis and kept booting.  Weather in and out, a little fog and a little snow, very little sun, but pleasant.  Skiing down the route was super fun, I think we even pulled off a face shot or two in the packed powder.  A very nice day out.
I have Whitehorse on my list. This seems to be the right snow year for it. Any reason for not doing Whitehorse this trip...otherwise Shuksan/White Salmon looked beautiful?

Heckuva job, Oyvind and Monika.  Mike, Lefty and I were several hours behind you (we could see you on the route as we started up - left the lot at 7:50).  We stopped on the big bench on top of Winnie's Slide and just went back down Winnie's.  But two adventurous lads in front of us left the high point there and pushed...off...south.  Who were those two daring souls who skied Fisher Chimneys - actually the southernmore elevator shaft of the big two - while we were there?

Reply to this TR

february-24-2008-mt-shuksan-white-salmon-gl
Oyvind_Henningsen
2008-02-24 21:43:36