Home > Trip Reports > Feb 16-17, Pheobe's Tip, Idaho Selkirks

Feb 16-17, Pheobe's Tip, Idaho Selkirks

2/15/08
US elsewhere
Posted by matmaster on 2/24/08 11:40am
Participants:  Mat, Eli, Buttercup, Captain America

Phoebe€™s Tip, Idaho Selkirks (possible first ski descent)

We left the snowmobile trailhead at about 10:30 Saturday night.  The snowmobile trail starts near the North end of Priest Lake in the Idaho Panhandle.  We rode about 25 miles to the Mollies warming hut with 2 memorable moose encounters.  The snow is so deep this year that the moose won€™t walk off the sled trails. 

The local snowmobile trail association keeps the cabin clean and stocked with firewood so we stayed warm and comfortable despite the cold temperatures that night.  After stoking up the wood stove and eating breakfast, Eli and I rode Buttercup and the Captain (I should have never let my kids name the snowmobiles) another 10 miles into trapper creek canyon. 

A devastating fire destroyed many of the trees in 1968 and few have returned to the area.  The lack of tree cover gives this area an alpine feel despite its relatively low elevation (4000 €“ 7000 feet).  The terrain is impressive with large pillows and cornices everywhere.

We started hiking up over several hills to gain a ridge that leads to the base of Phoebe€™s.  Once at the base of the peak, we began boot-packing the last 500 feet to the summit.  This was easy, though there was some exposure.

I opted to start my ski descent about 200 feet below the summit, but Eli rode his board from the top.  The ski down was excellent, with 6 inches of new snow over a solid base.  I will return.
Welcome!  Nice photo!!

Any good BC in that part of the range that does not require a snowmo to get at?

author=matmaster link=topic=9289.msg37392#msg37392 date=1203910835]
Participants:  Mat, Eli, Buttercup, Captain America

Phoebe’s Tip, Idaho Selkirks (possible first ski descent)

We left the snowmobile trailhead at about 10:30 Saturday night.  The snowmobile trail starts near the North end of Priest Lake in the Idaho Panhandle.  We rode about 25 miles to the Mollies warming hut with 2 memorable moose encounters.  The snow is so deep this year that the moose won’t walk off the sled trails. 

The local snowmobile trail association keeps the cabin clean and stocked with firewood so we stayed warm and comfortable despite the cold temperatures that night.  After stoking up the wood stove and eating breakfast, Eli and I rode Buttercup and the Captain (I should have never let my kids name the snowmobiles) another 10 miles into trapper creek canyon. 

A devastating fire destroyed many of the trees in 1968 and few have returned to the area.  The lack of tree cover gives this area an alpine feel despite its relatively low elevation (4000 – 7000 feet).  The terrain is impressive with large pillows and cornices everywhere.

We started hiking up over several hills to gain a ridge that leads to the base of Phoebe’s.  Once at the base of the peak, we began boot-packing the last 500 feet to the summit.  This was easy, though there was some exposure.

I opted to start my ski descent about 200 feet below the summit, but Eli rode his board from the top.  The ski down was excellent, with 6 inches of new snow over a solid base.  I will return.
Sounds like a great place..Any more pictures?

In the '70's when I was hiking in the area the maps labeled the peak Pheobe's Tit.  Must have been changed to a more politically correct name.  :)

Yeah, Pheobe's old name (Phoebe's tits) made for some lively conversation on the way up.  She definitley showed us the "goods"! 

There is not much easy acces without a sled.  most of the winter approaches are 20+ miles from a plowed road, but Oh the solitude!  I think a person can access the Keoke lake basin from Schweitzer ski area, but I've never been there.

Stay tuned for a trip report from Hunt lake / Hunt peak area in a couple of weeks.

Reply to this TR

feb-16-17-pheobe-s-tip-idaho-selkirks
matmaster
2008-02-24 19:40:35