Home > Trip Reports > Feb 20-21, 2008, Jolly Mtn, 6443'

Feb 20-21, 2008, Jolly Mtn, 6443'

2/20/08
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Larry_R on 2/22/08 8:47am
How to start? My life in a tent on Sasse Ridge? Naw€¦    Jolly -- across from Elbow and up from Humerus? Maybe. Yup, those are the real names, the latter one from none other than John Roper and Jeff Howbert. With a place name like that, who else? If you don't quite get it, it helps to know that John R is an M.D.

Wednesday was a beautiful warm spring-like day, with spring-like snow. Hard with a bit of softening on the surface as the day progressed. The eclipse of the moon coming up over Sasse Ridge was a nice bonus too. By morning it was partly cloudy, but there was a nice freeze overnight, and thinking that the conditions would be good for travelling I started out in the dark at 5:50.  I was at the top of Sasse Ridge before 7 am, which bode well. See the first pic, a variation of one I posted last week. The second pic was taken a bit further along, at what I call 'second pass' (~5400', between Dawg and Little Dawg). The conditions remained highly favorable for rapid transit, so I ended up at the top of Jolly Mtn, 6443 by 9:30 am. I usually get there an hour to an hour and a half later, so this is also a testament to the benefits of lots of minor little shortcuts I keep finding, and more importantly, to changing my meds. No, not the antipsychotics; my BP pills. Although initially I could never be sure, as time went by it became clear that the medication I had been on was really affecting my physical energy output. After discussing it with my doc, we decided to change meds, and I'm so thankful. There's a message here for those of you who my have to take drugs that affect what you love to do; keep exploring options. Don't give up.

And now the obligatory pic from the top of Jolly: not much different, except for the fog from dozens I've taken before, but I still like the scene. From left to right, the three high peaks on the left are Navaho, Three Brothers - SW Peak, and Earl. Next is Little Navaho (just visible), 6495T on the SE flank of Earl Peak above "Red Rock", then Miller Peak. In the center right the high peak on the horizon is Mission Peak, with Table Mtn. further to the right. Below Mission Peak three and a half miles away is Malcolm Mtn. Lot's more that can be picked out too. I cheated by the way, and referred to my labeled panorama from Jolly for these ID's.

Oh, yes, the skiing. My new Trab Duo Freerando Lights thought it was so very very nice all the way to the campsite. They did the driving; all I had to do is stand there. I didn't even have to tell them they were going to fast.

Larry
Thanks I too have had problems with BP med's. I thought I was crazy but it helps to know I'm not alone.

Love your reports, thanks.

Have mostly made the switch this winter from downhill to long-distance touring; I'm always looking for more places to go and your reports help me know where else to keep scoping the maps!

Hope to see you in the mountains soon.

Cheers,
Morgan

Good post Lar, I told you I was going to have to start working out if you were going to change your Meds.
For anyone else suspecting declining exercise performance due to blood pressure creeping up with age, be sure to check out the Vasotec type drugs commonly known as "prils" Enalapril, Lisinopril...
In another life I had the pleasure of being the technician on many exercise tests in which Enalapril was being trialed for increased exercise performance.  It was supposed to be a double blind experiment. However it was easy to tell who was on the drug and who wasn't due to the differences in exercise. So now I know I am in trouble the next time I go out with you Lar. It won't be me making it all the way to Jolly. Only thing I can still do well is get up early and go out too.

NICE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks SG!

For those who might be interested, I've got a VR panorama from the top of Jolly Mtn. here:

http://www.larryscascaderesource.com/VRpans/VRpans_files/panlink.html

If you have not used one of these files, intended for the DevalVR player, suggest you see this page first:

http://www.larryscascaderesource.com/VRpans/VRpans.html

Larry

Reply to this TR

feb-20-21-2008-jolly-mtn-6443
Larry_R
2008-02-22 16:47:42