Home > Trip Reports > Feb 21, 2008, Red Hill, New Hampshire

Feb 21, 2008, Red Hill, New Hampshire

2/21/08
Posted by ThePositive1 on 2/21/08 9:16am
Back country in the 'Shire???  You're kidding!!!

Nope, we found some!  Well kinda, but we did had to hike it!  My buddy and I that live in Everett are on vacation in New England, he's visiting his fam. in NH and I've been in ME.  Today we met up and skied Sunday River, ME which was total crap and I wrote a report up in the Lift access part of the site.  On the way to his place in NH he was telling me about this place called Red Hill.  It is an old ski area that was used by an outing club.  It had like 3 runs, a rope tow, a small groomer and a little lodge.  But from the looks of it it really hadn't had very much up keep. 

Check out the site he read about it on, it's really cool.  http://www.nelsap.org/nh/redhill.html

When we pulled into the little "parking area" aka the side of the road, we looked at each other just put on our ski boots and started to climb.  The lodge had a lot of really old ski gear, an old trail sign that was painted on an old piece of wood, a groomer and a really old rope tow with that will, as they say, bring up up the slope in 66 seconds!  People have put some rails for some technical park stuff and have kept it clean and it looked really cool!  On a pow day, it would be amazing!  Once at the top we saw the rope tow system was actually a really old truck with the duel tires with the rope going around it and with an electric motor.  If somebody paid the electric bill for that place there would be a rope tow and lights!  It was totally great!  We did 2 runs, both really sketchy but it was all worth it.  Having only 240 feet of vertical which happens to be more than my old stomping grounds of Lost Valley in Auburn, ME, the hike only took 10 minutes for some east podunk back country skiing and it was wicked good!!! 
Pictures coming soon!
Ayuh....glad to hear you had some wicked good turns! I grew up in Bangor Maine and used to ski at a similar little ski area called Ski Horse Mountain. It was awesome- two runs with a rope tow and a T-Bar. On Saturday nights they had a baked bean supper and opended the hill to tobogganing! Too bad all the little places have fallen by the wayside....

Pretty funny to see a report about Red Hill here.

I grew up in Meredith and have hiked to the top of Red Hill at least 50 times. 

But I never skied there, being a WV brat...

Glad you had fun!

Thought I'd just chime in and say that I grew up skiing Suicide Six in Woodstock, Vermont.  S6 is tiny compared to most "modern" mountains in the east, but Red (in a really ghost-town creepy kind of way) has S6 beat in the modesty category for sure.  Hope you enjoy your stay back in NNE!

author=ThePositive1 link=topic=9255.msg37277#msg37277 date=1203642987]
Back country in the 'Shire???  You're kidding!!!

Bert an' I used to ski hiking trails and 4000ers in the knickers-and-Merrells days of the 1980's.

Reply to this TR

feb-21-2008-red-hill-new-hampshire
ThePositive1
2008-02-21 17:16:27