Home > Trip Reports > Feb 16-18, Elfin Lakes B.C.

Feb 16-18, Elfin Lakes B.C.

2/15/08
Canada BC
Posted by Kyle Miller on 2/19/08 10:13am
Seeing as the skys were going to clear up for a few days Jenn Prince and I decided to skin out to the Elfin Lakes in Garbralti Provedencial Park near Squamish. When we got to the parking lot we were pleasently Surprised to find 5 inches of new. . The skin up was  on a forest road then across a ridge which took about 2.5 hours and was 11km. The cabin was built for 30 people but had around 100 instead there were People in the Bunks, Tables, benches and the floor to say the least it was rather hectic. The Next mourning we woke up and started skining around Sunrise with two guys from the portland area named Bo and Joe towards the Gargoyles. When we reached the summit we were happy to see the North facing Bowl was in great conditions in the shade. The main face is steep and we were uneasy about the Avi conditions so we opted to ride down between the huge spires. I was the Guniea pig and was happy to find deep dry Pow so I ripped down the main bowl instead of going into a coloir and having it sluff. All four of us did the same run and Jenn and I decided to go for another lap while Bo and Joe decided to head out towards a south facing ridge (and Bo if you read this please send me the video). For the second lap I decided to take the main coloir but after looking into the 20 ft cornice I changed my mind and did the one with the easiest access. After the second lap I went to change my board into split mode and somehow in the process I lost my pin to lock my board into skiis so we went down to the bottom of a huge gully which brought us into a Moraine canyon that would allow us to acess the cabin in four miles. We tried rope, and zip ties but they just kept breaking so I was forced to boot pack for 95% of the hike and it was brutal. By the time we made it back to the cabin the sun was setting and the full moon had risen. I was able to get a metal coat hanger from the park ranger and made a make shift pin and tested it skinning around the elfin lakes with a full moon causing the to alpine glow. The next mourning we skinned across the ridge and rode the meadows to the road all the way to the parking lot which was about 5 miles. This place will have some amazing spring touring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ezZoYvcEP8
You forgot to mention the push up to Squammish and the lovely night's rest behind the Save-on-Foods.  Dump trucks and bums made pretty good alarm clocks.

Or what about the hitch hiking between parking lots and forgotten gear? All and all, a gear cluster f---.  Bring chains, and wires, and pins to this place, I'm beginning to think that these glaciers eats shoes and boards... not to mention sick couloirs and U shaped canyons. 

Added a few of the photos that you had on myspace:)  Maybe you can send them to me directly so I have bigger copies.  thanks, your photo record contributions even out the extra pounds of gear and perhaps a chore or two. 

Nice recap Kyle....sounds like your trip out was not so much fun!  Bo and I had a great time touring with you two and hopefully we can break trail together again...

Keep in touch
Joe

anytime in the mountains is a good time but yes bootpacking sucks
by the way any word on that video  of me slashing the sidewall of the spire???

Bo is working on getting the video to you.  I spoke with him last night about it.  How was Jackson?

We toured up at Togwotee Pass on Friday then up in Teton National Park on Saturday but the conditions were icy and Scetch but there is some great touring to be done out there anyways lets summit hood, Adams and St Helens later on in the season

Reply to this TR

feb-16-18-elfin-lakes-b-c
Kyle Miller
2008-02-19 18:13:02