Home > Trip Reports > Feb 17, 2008... Mazama Bowl ... Paradise

Feb 17, 2008... Mazama Bowl ... Paradise

2/15/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by JW on 2/18/08 11:22am
Jen and I led our second Mountaineer's trip on Sunday and I think everyone  had a great time. Originally the plan was to do the Tatoosh but after seeing some of the crowns around on the steeper pitches we opted to tour out of Paradise instead. As you can see in the photos below the day was stellar! Blue skies and zero wind...it did get fairly warm in the afternoon but the snow held up surprisingly well. After skinning  just a few hundred yards, it was apparent that the sunnier aspects were going to suffer some serious thermal degradation as the day progressed. With that in mind we dropped down behind the Paradise Inn to the road and headed up to Mazama Bowl. We dug a pit on a SE aspect just over the ridge  and found  things pretty well consolidated ,but a fairly substantial layer about 12" down provided a very clean shear on shovel shear test,  it took about 9 whacks from the elbow on the compression test, but didn't break cleanly. Our block sheared all the way across but took about three full hops to do it. Our conclusion was  to ski the mellow slopes and test again on the north facing slope we truly desired. The bond seemed much better on the second pit and the snow was really nice ... about 4" skier penetration and smooth as silk...we all made a bunch of laps and  even the west facing heading back out skied really well. Thanks to a great group....let's do it again sometime.....Jerry
I was wondering about you guys.Lauire and I drove by Tall timbers and saw a flock of your cars there. Pics look like it was a gooder. Probaly you were shocked to see the difference of this years snow pack Eh?
Sorry we didn't stop to say hello but we were on a misson.

author=Robie link=topic=9220.msg37155#msg37155 date=1203393705]
Probaly you were shocked to see the difference of this years snow pack Eh?

No kidding Robie, I skied the same lines in November and hardly recognised them...wow, gonna be a good spring!  See you soon I hope

Great trip, Jerry!

Thanks for the great trip and great pics JW and Jen and Congrats! Even the cornices held and only a tad of sluffing on your epic shot out of the top chute! See you next time.

It was a fantastic day, just like being in Paradise:-D.  The "Geezers" started out with the energetic younger crowd, after getting farther, and farther in the rear, we opted to not pass up the good snow to find better.  Ron and I had our very own all day "first tracks" on the front side while the JW and Jen group toured the back side.  We also had great snow and lots of fresh turns on every slope.  Thanks JW and group for a great day. 

Jerry, Thanks for the great trip and the fantastic scenery. Broz.

Reply to this TR

feb-17-2008-mazama-bowl-paradise
JW
2008-02-18 19:22:08