Home > Trip Reports > July 25, 2003, Coleman Pinnacle

July 25, 2003, Coleman Pinnacle

7/25/03
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by Alan Brunelle on 7/25/03 10:59pm
This was my second trip in three days, only I brought the skis this time.  Not another soul in site.

My orignal plan was to head over to the snowfields about a half mile to the west of CP and I started off in that direction once I left the trail where it ends in the gap just west of CP (a little less than 3hrs of relaxed hiking).  I got to a point just over 6000ft where the terrain has very steep rolls and numerous incipient cracks in the snow.  This snowfield/glacier is significantly more massive and extensive than that under CP and no doubt more active.  Probably not a serious danger, but since I was solo I decided that I would not push my luck.  Also, I have to admit that the terrain rolls meant some very steep terrain, and since I am still driving leather I opted to do my first decent from that location.

From that point on I did a series of eastward traverses and climbs making much longer decents from just below CP.  These were rather conveniently done by traversing low to a point where I anticipated passing on the descent and dropping most of my pack contents, and then booting up to the high point before descending.

Probably the most satisfying position is to climb to a point on the ridge just northeast of CP where there is a fairly broad area of level snow.  This offers a great place to take in all the scenery (at over 6200 ft.), and prepare for the descent on a moderately steep slope for over 1000ft.  Not the longest runs, but hey!  Its odd, even though the runs aren't really steep, from a distance, looking back at the tracks they almost seem radical.

At the bottom of the last run, I traversed east and exited by way of attaining the ridgejust north of pt. 5831.  This is where Amar started his approach in his description from last week.  I liked the counter clockwise path I took.  If I was to stay overnight, I might do the clockwise approach that Amar did, do a series of descents, all the while working west and then set up camp at the pass near trail end.  Then the following day work back again.  I think that method also takes advantage of the sun's progression on these slopes.

Concerning snow conditions.  My first run was pretty tentative partly because of the sun cups, but probably more due to the fact that it was my first run in over six weeks.  The second and third runs were fun.  The sun cups caused me to alter my style a bit, leaving the telemark turns for the lower, less steep sections.  Parallel turns seem to allow my legs to better absorb the many small impacts that occur.  I shortened my turns and skied a lot slower.  Otherwise the corn was soft in the mid afternoon sun and considering that I was skiing light wide skis on leather boots, my assessment is that most anyone will have a good experience.

Sorry I couldn't get this report out before you current crop of weekenders.

Reply to this TR

july-25-2003-coleman-pinnacle
Alan Brunelle
2003-07-26 05:59:41