Home > Trip Reports > Phantom 2 16

Phantom 2 16

2/15/08
Posted by RonL on 2/16/08 10:16pm
As mentioned earlier picking a way up the snowbank was the toughest part of the trip. There is a lot of snow up there. The Alpental tribal elders were in the process of sending their Mujahadin local bomb makers 186 up the chairs when I arrived and they started shelling the slopes about 7:20 or so. By this time I had made it past the two waterfall cruxes with only a couple tree assists. There was a day old trail that I followed, when I agreed with it, but skinning was pretty easy. A few new inches on crust with an unconsolidated foot or so below that. At around 5k or so there were 4 or 5 inchs new. I only had eyes for the phantom today so I have no info about the summit or couloirs on the back. The sun came out and I skied down. Although it wasn't the powder skiing we have had lately I had a blast feeling comfortable on a big open slope like this for the first time in a while. By the time I got near the waterfall section the fog was thick and visibilty dropped to nil. I saw 3 skiers heading up but it took a while to located them just by their sounds. With the bad vis I pretty much had to ski the waterfall by muscle memory. It is decidedly less technical this year choked with so much snow.
Good to hear you're getting out as normal, Ron.  I think there was a time when you would have thought twice about the waterfall and now you do it almost blindfolded - good show! 

Hey man good to hear from you. I enjoyed your trip reports from Jackson.

Reply to this TR

phantom-2-16
RonL
2008-02-17 06:16:31