Home > Trip Reports > February 1, 2008, Front Range, Colorado

February 1, 2008, Front Range, Colorado

2/1/08
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 2/7/08 5:57am
Day 32
2-1-08
Front Range, Colorado

We arrived back where we started, along the Front Range of Colorado, glad to be behind the Continental Divide once more and safe from the Demon Winds of Wyoming.  Back in the sprawling metropolis.  Good to be home.  One last day of skiing was available to us, onto the local hill.

In the week and a half since I'd skied it, my local ski runs had gathered about 2 feet of new snow, covering all presence of man and underscoring the skiing potential I laid out for Wayne on his last day in CO before heading home to VT.  I was very proud.

"This area I told myself would be in come February.  And here we are - February!"

Knee and thigh deep trail breaking up to the 11,000 foot summit ridge.
In the past week of skiing we'd experienced all manner of powder, all world class.  It was very nice to see the local stash rise to the occasion.

4,000 VF of yo-yo skiing ensued.  A wonderful tour of the area, with not one sole met during the festivities.

Powder tour 2008 ends with big smiles.
I've got friends in Woodland Park, CO - how long's the season tend to last at that elevation? When's best to drop in on them, skis in hand? :)

Thanks! It's the local stashes that sometimes make skiing fun!

8,500 in Colorado?  The season lasts very long.  "Quality" may be a concern.

Let's face it, if you arrive in Colorado anytime other than Late July through September you should bring your skis, you should be able to find plenty of snow w/n a few hours drive. 

Can you tell me where this 'area' is-- exactly (or close to...)?  4000' vert.  that is a nice nice number I must say.....

Have you ridden around the Wolf Creek area (San Juans I believe).  I know they get a huge snow-pack similar to cascades in depth.  They can have a pretty long skinning season it seems....

skig. - 1. No.  2.  I've been to Wolf Creek a bunch and love the snow.  It's a good place in to find good skiing early in the season and does get a ton of snow (434" so far this year.)

Reply to this TR

february-1-2008-front-range-colorado
MW88888888
2008-02-07 13:57:45