Home > Trip Reports > January 27-February 3, 2008, Sol Mountain Touring

January 27-February 3, 2008, Sol Mountain Touring

1/27/08
Posted by BrentH on 2/6/08 5:56am
See the Web site at http://www.solmountain.com/skiing.html# Eric Feigl was the organizer of our group to visit this commercial ski touring hut in the Monashees of southcentral British Columbia. The Monashees met their reputation for superior snow quality. I've visited ten different huts in the Purcells, Valhallas, Selkirks and Rockies. This week provided the best snow of all. We had over a meter with about 35cm of settling. It came with light winds and cold temperatures (-22 to -10C, about -10 to 15F). This location is noted for its steep tree skiing. The alpine possibilities are  perhaps more limited in comparison to places like Battle Abbey or Selkirk Mountain Experience. (We did summit Sol Mountain twice). This hut requires more hiking than many places to access the good runs and runs are on the smaller side (about 400m vertical), but the walking is through magnificent spruce/fir forests. I believe this is the fourth season of operation for Sol Mountain. The proprietor (Aaron Cooperman) is a strong guide and very much involved in making his guests experiences positive. The lodge is still under construction, so there are a few rough edges, but it is spacious (even the kitchen!) and has a good feel to it. There are five (5!) indoor toilets, two showers, a separate sauna, ample electricity (propane generator), running hot and cold water, and a satellite internet connection (for those workaholics among us). It can house about 20 guests. Sleeping is 2-3 per room. We went as guided and catered. Guest-to-guide ratio is about 6 to 1. There is lots of terrain to support such a relatively large number of guests. The guides were the usual excellent Canadian certified examples. Our cook was also very good, and unlike many other huts, guests are not wanted for dishwashing duty. I recommend this place and will return.
Brent, Great to see that you're still touring. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Reply to this TR

january-27-february-3-2008-sol-mountain-touring
BrentH
2008-02-06 13:56:45