Home > Trip Reports > 2/5/08, Mt. Rainier NP; Eagle Peak Avalanches

2/5/08, Mt. Rainier NP; Eagle Peak Avalanches

2/5/08
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Gary Vogt on 2/5/08 10:49pm
The Paradise gate did not open Tuesday.  Fortunately, the skiing is excellent on the trails above Longmire.  About one PM at the Nisqually River footlog near Cougar Rock, we witnessed a large avalanche from the NW side of Point 5884 on Eagle Peak that ran nearly 3000 vf to the river, snapping trees and leaping cliffs on its run.  While pondering the wisdom of continuing up the Paradise River canyon, a second slightly smaller slide occurred.  Over the next 40 minutes, slides continued to a total of seven.  The next to last was the largest of all.  We turned for Longmire, sobered but happy to have witnessed the awesome show.  Anybody else seen so many multiple releases?
You and Dorothea ? Glad your safe!

all natural releases? thats wild. i think i have only seen one large natural release ever.

No Robie, I was with Winter Raven...and yes, Jack, all natural releases from multiple starting zones into the same runout.  I could understand the first slide triggering accompanying sympathetic releases, but those repeating at 5-10 minute intervals seemed odd.  I lloked at the telemetry & the timing was just about as the temperature reached its daily high.

Reply to this TR

2-5-08-mt-rainier-np-eagle-peak-avalanches
Gary Vogt
2008-02-06 06:49:10