January 27, 2008, Mt Glory (10,086), Tetons, WY

1/27/08
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 2/5/08 11:45am
Day 27
1-27-08
Mt Glory (10,086), Teton Range, Wyoming
"Little Tuckermans", "Unbelievabowl Rib", "Chivers Ridge"

The stranger was climbing up from behind and stopped to sneer at my feet.

"Are you going to walk up in those the whole way?  Mind you don't walk in the bootpack."  He walked on, distinctly impressed with himself for dissing a "tourist."

Lectured.  This was great.  100 feet off the road in Jackson and we're getting lectured. I smiled broadly to Wayne, also in snowshoes. 

"I'm like a god-damn lightning rod!" he chuckles.  I laugh and follow our new friend up the trail, attempting to throw my voice for the sake of his enjoyment.
I muse to no one in my own group in particular, "Whatever happened to Good morning - beautiful day isn't it?' "
"Ten minutes in Wyoming, Wayne, and you're already upsetting the locals."

There is irony all around us if you are aware.  I think I get our new "friend" high in the summit shelter.  Maybe it was his buddy.  Whatever.  I was still laughing at our intro to Jackson locals.  These were my kind of people.  The town shop owners had to be nice to the tourists because it was good for business.  The Jackson backcountry skiers had no such compunction and viewed them as nuisance and competitor, and treated them like the scum that they were.  It must have become quite the sport to diss the wealthy Jackson tourists who venture into the BC after reading a sporty Ski Magazine Teton Pass article.

Such irony!  Me, the tourist! 
Updated with some digital magic (where have you been all my life, digital camera?).  My favorite sequence of the trip - look at the explosion of powder on that jump!

It's great when a week of pictures yeilds only a few choice ones 'cause it was snowing so hard all week!

Looks like fun guys.

Reply to this TR

january-27-2008-mt-glory-10-086-tetons-wy
MW88888888
2008-02-05 19:45:28