Home > Trip Reports > July 12, 2003, Crag View/Squock Gl.

July 12, 2003, Crag View/Squock Gl.

7/12/03
Posted by wickstad on 7/13/03 8:58pm
This is my first Trip Report here so feel free to let me know if I leave anything out. Gimme some leeway on grammar, spelling and general reader interest.

Mrs. Wickstad and I found the road up to Schreiber's Meadow to be in excellent shape.

Near continuous snow begins on the Scott Paul Trail at 4700'. Just below the sharp right turn.  On the descent there was just one spot of soft dirt a ski length long.

We geared up before the traverse below Crag View. There was a nice boot pack across on semi soft snow.  We followed a lone pair of aged descending ski tracks up and up.  There were small crevasses to the left and right but only two small cracks to step over in the middle. We stopped at 7700' on a flat spot near some house-sized seracs.

The snow was perfect for skiing.  If it hadn't been for the runnels and sun-cups we could have done more than mostly wedge and survival type parallel turns on the 20-25 degree slope. I did manage to find spots to crank out some nice telemark turns. Especially after a hail storm deposited a trace of "new".  That hail can really be painful on the head and face.

We kept the skiis on to 4700'.  After a quick hike back to the Jeep it was on to The Thai House in Mount Vernon.
Nice report, Wickstad, Thanks.

Reply to this TR

july-12-2003-crag-view-squock-gl
wickstad
2003-07-14 03:58:26